Re: Sierra Pale Ale clone in the bucket

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 pm

I don't think that just the action of siphoning the beer into the bottling bucket will provide even distribution of your priming sugar. My morebeer kit came with a giant white spoon that I sterilize and use to mix the beer gently (very gently - limit the amount of oxygen that is getting into your beer) after all of it is transferred into the bottling bucket.
theblaster

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:32 pm

I dont even bother cooling the priming solution. I put it in my bucket, let it sit for a minute, and then I transfer onto it. I make sure the tubing runs along the bucket edge. It circles around the whole time. Pretty sure I am getting even disribution. Never been a problem. :jnj
snowcapt

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:30 am

It not mixing would explain the weird gravity reading I got... I forgot to take a FG reading the day I bottled (I had take it prior, and it was stalled at 1.014), so I took a reading AFTER getting it into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. It was 1.020. I know it should go up a little, but from what I hear, it shouldn't have increased to more than maybe 1.016. I took the sample from the spigot, so the beer at the bottom of the bucket had more of the sugar versus that up top. I've noticed that the higher carbed bottles are grouped in the same 12-pk box, which suggests the sugar was concentrated in one area, as it's not varying wildly from bottle to bottle, but from group of bottles to group of bottles (if that makes sense)
• considering: first lager
• primary:
• secondary:
• drinking: JBA batch #2
• bottle conditioning: Best Bitter
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier
jimlin

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:40 am

jimlin wrote:It not mixing would explain the weird gravity reading I got... I forgot to take a FG reading the day I bottled (I had take it prior, and it was stalled at 1.014), so I took a reading AFTER getting it into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. It was 1.020. I know it should go up a little, but from what I hear, it shouldn't have increased to more than maybe 1.016. I took the sample from the spigot, so the beer at the bottom of the bucket had more of the sugar versus that up top. I've noticed that the higher carbed bottles are grouped in the same 12-pk box, which suggests the sugar was concentrated in one area, as it's not varying wildly from bottle to bottle, but from group of bottles to group of bottles (if that makes sense)

Did you have them in the same spot while conditioning?
snowcapt

Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:56 am

snowcapt wrote:Did you have them in the same spot while conditioning?

Yes, Had them stacked in the same closet, same length of time. Samples from one 12-pack box differ from those in another. As I finish bottling 12, I place them in a 12-pack box and go back to bottling, so it makes sense that those in one box are similar to one another as they were bottled together. Those from another box were bottled from a different level of the bucket
• considering: first lager
• primary:
• secondary:
• drinking: JBA batch #2
• bottle conditioning: Best Bitter
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier
jimlin

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:07 am

Congrats brotha. Your next batch being full boil should come out lighter in color too.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing