Re: Lack of activity in Oud Bruin

Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:53 pm

I am still not certain that they are not pasteurized. The guy I talked to knows a lot about beer, but not necessarily brewing. But I have noticed that the larger corked bottles are pretty clear while the 11.9 oz. bottles I have do seen to have a bit of sediment in there. Maybe just wishful thinking - I won't know until I try, which will hopefully be sooner rather than later. What if I made up a small starter, pour in the dregs and see if I get any activity? Would this be a good test or would I get some activity even if there aren't any viable bugs?
AdamWiz

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:51 am

I am pretty positive that Monk's is pasteurized and does not contain any viable dregs. I believe they also backsweeten with saccharine at packaging time (ala Duchesse) which is where the pasteurization process comes in.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Okay, I have another question on this one : I was looking at the Oud Bruin today ( I just can't help myself ) and since I transferred it to the carboy while primary fermentation was still pretty active, there is a lot of sediment in the bottom. Should I maybe transfer it one more time before ignoring it for the long haul?( I'm moving it to a friend's house to keep me from obsessing over it so much) I'm thinking it's probably not good to let it sit on so much yeast for so long. And I have a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's "La Roja" I'll be drinking within the next few days - I was thinking of pouring in the dregs. Too soon?
AdamWiz

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:58 am

I would not transfer again because you are going to be introducing more O2 when you do that. To much O2 you'll get vinegar flavor from the acetic acid. Dont worry about the yeast it will be fine, I have a Lambic from 2006 still sitting on the original yeast cake and it is fine.
Ryan
Bach Brewing Company

On tap- IPA, Buckwheat Saison, Belgian Blond w/Bugs, Berliner Weiss, Abbey Single
Fermenting- Buckwheat Saison w/Bugfarm #4, Apple Brandy Golden Strong w/ Brett, Belgian Red #3
Coming Up- Rye Saison 3 way, Octoberfest
brewtoomuch

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 am

Dude, just let it go, leave it and it will be fine.

I did a recipe similar to Jamil's Old Bruin, and was lazy throughout as usual. First I brewed and pitched my cali yeast. Got busy and forgot about it, it sat there on the yeast for about 3 months. Then finally got around to it. Smacked the Rolsellare yeast pack, then got busy again and left that pack for two weeks (swelled) without pitching. Then pitched into the beer. I left the beer for 3 or 4 months.

Just transferred it last week as a matter of fact. It is delicious and only 6 months old, I can't wait to try it in another 6 months (if it lasts that long). I know they need to age but I just can't help myself. It is not just myself either that thinks it is a great beer. The sour fans in my club tried it and also think it rocks. Though I am a very proud papa; as this is the first sour beer that I have made.

Moral of the story, let it alone and it will do just fine, sour bugs will find something to eat in there. They are much more effecient then standard ale yeasts. I am pretty sure they would eat the pales if they could break them down.
CRBrewHound

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing