Re: Whirlfloc in an Extract Beer

Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:05 am

It also depends on the style you are brewing. Crushing the tablet helps too
cheezycow

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Mills wrote:Just found it. Page 281 How to Brew:

"A good clarifier for almost all worts though not recommended for high adjunct or extract based worts."

Mills
:bnarmy:

Bottom of page 279 to top of 280 as well. I think Palmer also mentioned this in a Brew Strong, altho my beer addled brain can't recall which one. As I understand it, in addition to settling out the proteins that make clearer beer, the irish moss based clarifiers will also settle out proteins that contribute to head retention. And since extract beer is essentially wort boiled twice with break, it contains less protein laden break material, and is therefore more sensitive to the affects of the moss than all-grain. So theoretically, using Whirlfloc in an extract beer will give you clearer beer with less head.

FWIW, I gave up Irish moss about a year ago. Not sure it made much of a difference in how much head i get, which is never enuf. I bottle.
I see drunk people . . . . . .
Fugglupagus

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Not sure it made much of a difference in how much head i get, which is never enuf.

So true, on so many levels...
snowcapt

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing