Munich LME

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:56 am

I am brewing my first batch this weekend, the Hoppiness is an ipa recipe from BCS. It calls for .5 lb of munich LME. The homebrew store doesnt seem to have munich extract. Can i substitute a .5 lb of amber extract or should i just go all light LME? Thanks
ribbityrob

Re: Munich LME

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:31 am

Personally, I'd skip it.

IPA tends towards the lighter color and drier, favoring the bitterness over the maltyness a little, and the Munich will lead you towards the richer and perhaps a little darker.

1/2 of munich LME will add a tiny amount of color and flavor, but I bet you'll get a good beer without it.
Asdel

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:56 am

If you really want to keep the Munich in, you could do a mini mash, Munich will self convert.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks guys, I think im gonna just do the Light LME and just stick to steeping grains for my first batch. Ill let yall know how it turns out :jnj
ribbityrob

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:15 am

Good luck! Let us know how it goes-

Check out the WAHA web site for lots of good info esp. about local homebrewing stuff.

Steve
WAHA
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing