Belgian Wit with too much Spice

Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:21 pm

I brewed a Blue Moon clone a few months back and although it was ok the Coriander is REALLY pronounced. I have crushed up an orange slice in the bottom of the glass and poured on top of that and it was quiet nice but I don't want to have to do that every time. I let the keg age for a while hoping that the spice would settle but it hasn't.

I was thinking of opening the keg and either pouring some OJ in or trying something else to counter the coriander taste. Any Ideas?

~B.D.
Current Brews:
Kegged: Political Pirate (Belgian Wit), Waylaid (Cherry Wheat);
Endangered Bottles: Pillage Pilsner; Apple-Bottomed Blonde
Bottled: Bilgewater Brew
Carboy: Traditional Mead, Pineapple Mead; Habanero Mead, Pumpkin Spiced Ale
BDBrewing

Re: Belgian Wit with too much Spice

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:00 am

I'd say blend it with another witbeer using less coriander in the recipe. You could blend it with an American wheat beer using some citrusy hops. Sunny D instead of the orange juice might be interesting.
Good Luck! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:44 pm

captain carrot wrote:I'd say blend it with another witbeer using less coriander in the recipe. You could blend it with an American wheat beer using some citrusy hops. Sunny D instead of the orange juice might be interesting.
Good Luck! :jnj

+1
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:15 am

I know it took me long enough to decide but with the holidays and my daughter's birthday we've been swamped. I decided to try and make the same recipe beer again but without the coriander and then blend the two and if need be add a dash of coriander if it needs it.

The odd part about this since i brewed this batch i have moved to all grain. So I will be blending this Extract brew with essentially an all grain version of the same recipe.

With me Luck

~B.D.
Current Brews:
Kegged: Political Pirate (Belgian Wit), Waylaid (Cherry Wheat);
Endangered Bottles: Pillage Pilsner; Apple-Bottomed Blonde
Bottled: Bilgewater Brew
Carboy: Traditional Mead, Pineapple Mead; Habanero Mead, Pumpkin Spiced Ale
BDBrewing

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing