Re: My first brew. WIll it be ok?

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:29 am

You will want to carb warmer than that, especially for ale yeast. They'll just go to sleep and you'll have flat, slightly sweet (from your priming sugar) beer. If you keep conditioned (carbed) beer cool, it can last quite a long time, but I wouldn't expect an extemely long shelf life sitting over 85. If you're able to get a beer fridge, I'd let them carb at room temp til they are good to go (check periodically) then keep them cool and enjoy!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:59 am

Thanks, you've been helpful as always.

I just noticed my bottling instructions say to let the beer condition for 2 weeks. That's half the time I thought it was going to take for some reason (good news, cause I am anxious). I assume the results will be better the longer I wait (3 or 4 weeks), so I'll probably just put a few in the fridge after 2 weeks and enjoy those while I condition the majority for a little while longer...
In the fermenter: Nada

In the cellar: Super Citra APA

On deck: Bugeaters' Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber
DonMoleon

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:26 am

Sounds like a plan. Just make sure that after 3 weeks you get them in a cooler place than 85F to prevent staling and bottle bomb issues.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Ok, the bottling is done! I think everything went according to plan, for once. I was able to get 23 large bottles (22 oz) and a 6 pack of small bottles (12 oz).

It's too soon to tell how it came out, but what I can say is that the color was right and it certainly smelled like a stout. Also, the ABV was 5.1%.

I detected a slight hot alcohol smell, but I don't know if this is normal before conditioning, a result of pitching the yeast at a slightly high temperature, or perhaps I'm just not used to the smell of 5 gallons of beer in a large bucket...?

The bottles are now on the floor of my guest bedroom with the A/C on 24/7 to maintain a temperature in the low 70's. I'm very curious to see my electric bill this month (so is my wife!)

UPDATE: My electric bill was doubled, so about an extra $40 ... It will be about the same this coming month as well because I have the A/C on 24/7 for the beer to condition... totally worth it.

Should I try a bottle after 1 week to see how it is doing, or should I wait longer?

DonMoleon

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Ok, I didn't receive any responses from the last post, so I went ahead and tested the beer anyway. It was yesterday, exactly 1 week into the conditioning process.

I chilled one of the 12oz bottles for a few hours in the fridge before pouring it into a glass. I was surprised to find there was very little, if any, sediment in the bottle.

I found the taste to be quite good after only 1 week. Keep in mind, however, that I have nothing to compare it to since it is my first batch. There was a very distinct (and pleasant) nutty flavor, but no real obvious fruity ester tastes that I was warned about from the high pitching temperature.

On the down side, there was a clear aftertaste similar to that of strong alcohol, even though my stout is only about 5.1%. I am assuming this may be due to the creation of fusel alcohol that Bugeater warned me about from the high temperatures during the yeast pitching and first day of fermentation, but maybe I am mistaken.

Since it is my first batch ever perhaps I am just unsure of what to expect so early on in the conditioning process. It has only been 1 week, and I am probably looking at about 2 more weeks of conditioning before I move them to the fridge.

Is this alcohol aftertaste just a common part of the early phases of conditioning, or can I expect this to remain even after conditioning is complete?

Either way the beer is quite drinkable, so even if the aftertaste remains I can say that I am very satisfied with how my first batch is turning out.

I look forward to all of your comments.

DonMoleon

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:07 pm

That's great man, at least it's drinkable, which is about all we can really ask for on our first try! Great job! All we can do about mistakes is learn from them and do better next time, so don't sweat it.

My first batch is quite good, even though it's not totally conditioned yet. I'm going to let the bigger 22oz bottles sit a little longer, but I've had a couple of the 12ozers, and they're quite drinkable too.

I'm dying to find out what my 2nd batch (and my first solo batch) comes out like!! It's going to be hoppy, that's for sure!

Batch three is still five or six weeks from being ready. I'm just waiting on that, not really anxious yet.

This is so addictive, I'm already working on formulating batch 4!
alcaponejunior

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:19 pm

DonMoleon wrote:Ok, I didn't receive any responses from the last post, so I went ahead and tested the beer anyway. It was yesterday, exactly 1 week into the conditioning process.

I chilled one of the 12oz bottles for a few hours in the fridge before pouring it into a glass. I was surprised to find there was very little, if any, sediment in the bottle.

I found the taste to be quite good after only 1 week. Keep in mind, however, that I have nothing to compare it to since it is my first batch. There was a very distinct (and pleasant) nutty flavor, but no real obvious fruity ester tastes that I was warned about from the high pitching temperature.

On the down side, there was a clear aftertaste similar to that of strong alcohol, even though my stout is only about 5.1%. I am assuming this may be due to the creation of fusel alcohol that Bugeater warned me about from the high temperatures during the yeast pitching and first day of fermentation, but maybe I am mistaken.

Since it is my first batch ever perhaps I am just unsure of what to expect so early on in the conditioning process. It has only been 1 week, and I am probably looking at about 2 more weeks of conditioning before I move them to the fridge.

Is this alcohol aftertaste just a common part of the early phases of conditioning, or can I expect this to remain even after conditioning is complete?

Either way the beer is quite drinkable, so even if the aftertaste remains I can say that I am very satisfied with how my first batch is turning out.

I look forward to all of your comments.

I always start drinking the beer a week in. In my experience, my beers are at their peak a week after I finish them. :asshat:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:00 pm

alcaponejunior wrote:
Batch three is still five or six weeks from being ready. I'm just waiting on that, not really anxious yet.

UPDATE:

My third batch, sweet stout has come out pretty good. It's got pretty good body, could be thicker but it ain't bad, a good roasty flavor, a pretty nice head with some staying power and very nice sheets of lacing. The taste is pretty good and not too far off the style, perhaps a little bit hoppier than I expected but quite tasty!

:aaron

Batch 4 will have to be bottled tomorrow or thursday and won't be touched for six weeks. Goin' on a mission, won't be able to taste it till may!!
alcaponejunior

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing