Re: My first brew. WIll it be ok?

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Fruit in a fruit beer (like Raspberry Stout) is ok.
Light fruity esters in a non-fruit ale may be ok, but in some styles (especially lagers), even light esters are out of style.

Check out the BJCP style guidelines for a more background info on how different styles typicaly taste (and smell, etc).
http://www.bjcp.org
Lots of good info there for you to look at.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:29 pm

I'll definitely check out those style guidelines, thanks.

Just curious, when making fruity ales, do people ever intentionally ferment at slightly higher-than-recommended temperatures in order to further accentuate the fruit they are using in the ingredients?
In the fermenter: Nada

In the cellar: Super Citra APA

On deck: Bugeaters' Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber
DonMoleon

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

Typically not, or at least not above normal ranges for the style of beer. The fruity esters produced by yeast are different from the character that you get from actual fruit additions.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Noted. Thanks for the help again guys. I'll post on the results of this first batch in a few weeks.

I plan on bottling it on Sunday, Feb 5. The recipe says to wait 4 weeks before drinking it, but what is the minimum time I should wait to crack open a bottle and have a little taste test?

DonMoleon

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:05 am

I usually have a 6 pack I keep aside for taste testing... I'll crack one each week to monitor how the carbonation is going. Even if they aren't fully carbed, it will give you a good appreciation and understanding of what is going on during that process.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 am

I should note that they are kept at room temp, then I toss one in the fridge each week to chill and taste.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:58 am

should turn out ok, i can't add anything not already covered. it's a hobby. don't give up if the stout isn't as good as you thought... people have made great beer with less technology and research then we have available to us today. KEEP ACCURATE NOTES so you learn from every batch.
mordantly

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 pm

mordantly wrote:should turn out ok, i can't add anything not already covered. it's a hobby. don't give up if the stout isn't as good as you thought... people have made great beer with less technology and research then we have available to us today. KEEP ACCURATE NOTES so you learn from every batch.

Absolutely. Having these threads alone are good notes so far. You don't have to worry about me giving up on this hobby, I'm sure I will be doing this for years to come. I'm already looking forward to the day when I feel knowledgable enough to start making my own experimental recipes. Someone in another one of my threads pointed out the fact that, living in Thailand, I have access to all sorts of exotic ingredients that most people do not.

Later this year, once I get comfortable, I may ask you guys for some recipe ideas utilizing different Thai ingredients. I'll then make a batch of beer of whoever comes up with the best idea. Of course, I'll have to (attempt to) ship that person a six pack...

DonMoleon

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing