Re: First brew

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:30 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
prepare the wort boil 3 or 4 gallons of water and cut open the malt pouch. squeeze the malt syrup into the water and stir until all the malt traces are dissolved from your spoon. turn off the heat when the malt is stirred in, to prevent the malt syrup from scorching on the pot bottom

They are basically saying to get your water up to a boil, turn of the heat to prevent scorching and stir in your malt until it is fully dissolved.

3) boil for 1 hour. watch for boil overs which are very likely when the pot first comes to a boil after adding the malt. boil overs can be stopped by turning off the heat and stirring.

This should be fairly understandable so far.

Add the KCS175 (flavoring hops) after 5 minutes of boiling

I hate when brewing recipes time things like this, even if it is more understandable to 'new' brewers... Essentially this is a 55 min hop addition that they are calling a flavoring addition. My guess would be that they are telling you to wait 5 min from the start of the boil to allow for hot break to occur. Personally, I wait for that, then start timing my 60 min boil from when I add my bittering hops.

and both the honey pouch and CKH075 (aromatic hops) after 58 minutes, 2 minutes before the end of the boil stir to dissolve all honey traces before turning off heat

Your aroma hops are a 2 min addition, right before you turn off the heat, and you're adding your honey then too to preserve the honey aromatics as much as possible, making sure it's fully dissolved.

ohhhhh lol yea i was good all the way up tell they said to add the hops and honey and aromatic hops lol oopse

my honey and aromatic hops got an hour boil and the malt got a total of 2 hours

lol live and learn i just hope it don't taste to bad i know its going to be extra bitter since basically it got three times the about of hops it was suppose to get just really hope i dint F up the honey by boiling it for an entire hour.

still gonna drink it thats for sure :aaron
Thisfool

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:41 pm

It'll still be beer, but likely no honey aromatics, and your beer will be more bitter (perhaps more carmelized from the long boil), with no hop aroma. Could be the start of a new style! :jnj
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:30 am

spiderwrangler wrote:It'll still be beer, but likely no honey aromatics, and your beer will be more bitter (perhaps more carmelized from the long boil), with no hop aroma. Could be the start of a new style! :jnj

lol hoope so that would be very nice lol cheers :jnj
Thisfool

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:49 am

Welcome and congrats on your first brew!

There are a couple things you can do to try to fix this, though it won't be perfect:

1) get another oz of pellet hops (same variety as you had before, or tell us what style beer this was and we can recommend some).
Bring 1 quart of water up to a boil and add those pellets to it in a straining bag. let them boil for 5 mins, then cut the heat.
pull the hop bag out and let the "hop tea" cool down. Dump the tea into your fermenter while it's still at high krausen.
(Limiting it to about 5 mins is important, as it will replicate extracting hop flavor as if it was in the boil only for a few minutes. Use a timer to be sure).

2) After fermentation is complete, add another oz of dry hops it and let that sit for a week to impart extra aroma.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:50 pm

BDawg wrote:Welcome and congrats on your first brew!

There are a couple things you can do to try to fix this, though it won't be perfect:

1) get another oz of pellet hops (same variety as you had before, or tell us what style beer this was and we can recommend some).
Bring 1 quart of water up to a boil and add those pellets to it in a straining bag. let them boil for 5 mins, then cut the heat.
pull the hop bag out and let the "hop tea" cool down. Dump the tea into your fermenter while it's still at high krausen.
(Limiting it to about 5 mins is important, as it will replicate extracting hop flavor as if it was in the boil only for a few minutes. Use a timer to be sure).

2) After fermentation is complete, add another oz of dry hops it and let that sit for a week to impart extra aroma.

HTH-

It sounds like his beer is already too hoppy and adding a hop tea and dry hops might just fuel the fire. It doesn't look like he is controlling fermentation temps which would add more off flavors. I say chalk it up to a learning experience and let it ride. My first beer was ok but my second and third beers tasted like toilet water. If you REALLY wanted to try and save it a second batch with no bittering hops and only flavor and aroma hops then blend the batches before bottling it may help. But I say drink it up and learn from it.

Or you could do the hop tea and dry hop and just call it a honey ipa :)
theobrew

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:47 pm

theobrew wrote:
BDawg wrote:Welcome and congrats on your first brew!

HTH-

It sounds like his beer is already too hoppy and adding a hop tea and dry hops might just fuel the fire. It doesn't look like he is controlling fermentation temps which would add more off flavors. I say chalk it up to a learning experience and let it ride. My first beer was ok but my second and third beers tasted like toilet water. If you REALLY wanted to try and save it a second batch with no bittering hops and only flavor and aroma hops then blend the batches before bottling it may help. But I say drink it up and learn from it.

Or you could do the hop tea and dry hop and just call it a honey ipa :)

lol yup im just going to drink it and learn from it.

i am controlling the temp tho the fermenter is in my room and my rooms ac is set to 65 which is what the instructions called out for

but by the time i start my second batch i will have a fridge thanks to my girlfriend upgrading to a larger one
Thisfool

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing