Evaporation during primary fermentation

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:56 am

Is it normal for a beer to evaporate 1/2-3/4 gallon during primary fermentation?

I brewed an extract beer last week, an Imperial Rye IPA, and went to rack it into the secondary and then dry hop it. However, after racking it into the secondary, I saw that I had only 4 gallons of beer having left the yeast mass and other fermentation debris at the bottom of the primary (all of which added up to about 1/4 gallon). The OG was 1.080 and prior to racking it into the secondary it was 1.016.

Would it be bad to top it off with water in the secondary?

For reference the recipe I followed is here: http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=1290

:aaron
SSuibhne

Evaporation during primary fermentation

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:12 pm

The "loss" could be due to thermal contraction, of you measured the volume when warm. If you lost that much to evaporation, you were doing it wrong and your yeast would be dead.

You can add sanitized (boiled and cooled water), but it's not worth the contamination risk. I would take what you got and move on.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Re: Evaporation during primary fermentation

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks for the tip. I think the yeast is still alive though because I am still getting activity in the secondary. I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks. :?
SSuibhne

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Depending on what you are using to measure your volumes, a 1/2 gal could easily be lost in measuring or marking errors. If you had any blow out that would contribute to loss, and technically you are losing some mass as the CO2 that is being generated (and as you mentioned the water vapor carried with it), though I doubt that would contribute volume-wise. I figure take what you can get and go with it.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My friend and I let it just finish out on it's own and finally drank some on Friday. Came out well so I can't complain. As for measuring, the bucket we were using is premarked so that was what we using to gauge volume. However, I hear what you are saying regarding 'I figure take what you can get and go with it.' It's better to have 4 gallons of good beer then mess it up and have 5 gallons of crap.
SSuibhne

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:41 pm

Don't trust the measurements on those pre-marked buckets. I've found most of them to be off by a bit. I've remarked all mine and all my carboys. Add a measured gallon at a time and mark with a permanent marker. I also went back and put a half gallon mark in between the gallon markings.

For my glass carboys I use a paint marker since the "permanent" markers will eventually wash off. The paint pens I got from Home Depot worked great for this. Some of those were marked over 4 years ago and still are quite readable.

Keep in mind that there is about a 4% difference in volume of the wort between room temperature and boiling.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Bugeater wrote:Keep in mind that there is about a 4% difference in volume of the wort between room temperature and boiling.

Not that boiling water should go in buckets or carboys...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing