Re: First Brew Day! - Paging Dr. Bubra to the ER.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:35 pm

snowcapt wrote:I
CRBrewHound wrote:Congrats on the first batch, you will soon be addicted if not already.

Please remember to brew no- :nutters: style as this really increases both quality and taste.

Damn right, it does! :nutters: :unicornrainbow:

impressive vorlauf
fistwizard

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:32 pm

I know, spiderwrangler, it was a novel & ill tone it down a bit in the future. My apologies but just trying to include as much relevant info as possible in hopes of creating the best possible. That said, I was probably on overkill status, but thanks for the help you could provide given the heady info. Thanks adamK, as well, for all the input. Lets see how she rolls over, because we already know she got what she asked for. I'll keep y'all posted. Hoping for the best.

Thanks BNA!
Always Thirsty
In the Fermentor: C'est Son La Vie
Bottle Conditioning: Wonder Child Hard Cider #2
On Deck: West Coast IPA & California Common
Infusing: Redwood Manor Limoncello, Black Fig Vodka & Black Fig Bourbon
Dr. Bubra

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh & CO monitors in effect. I AM burning propane indoors, ALL Windows open...NOT sleeping with the enemy, NOT trying to wake up dead but surely keepin it :nutters:-OFF & all the while caressing beautiful :unicornrainbow:
Last edited by Dr. Bubra on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Always Thirsty
Dr. Bubra

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:24 pm

UPDATE: Hit my FG last Monday & gravity readings (spread out a couple days) remained consistent. I tasted the samples & didn't detect any off flavors. It tasted pretty good & very much like a red ale, so that was great! To me it did taste a bit on the thin side but I suppose I'll have a better idea after bottle conditioning.

Bottled the batch up this past Friday! Wound up going with a majority bombers. So I did 2 cases of 22's, a sixer+ of 12 oz's & one straggler 16 oz flip-top I had lying around. Bottling really does suck! :roll: I'll crack a 12 oz on Saturday & see how the carb is shaping up after a week in. :aaron
Always Thirsty
Dr. Bubra

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Redwood Manor Limoncello? Tell me more! I have lemon peels soaking in Everclear as we speak .......
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:06 pm

animaldoc wrote:Redwood Manor Limoncello? Tell me more! I have lemon peels soaking in Everclear as we speak .......

Yeah! My folks have some fruit trees on their property one of which is a nice Meyer Lemon tree that produces fantastic, aromatic, organic lemons pretty much year-round. Their house is out in the redwoods here in NorCal so we jokingly call it Redwood Manor. I also use Everclear for my limoncellos & mandarincellos...they turn out excellent! The key is sitting on it for about 6-8 months to allow for the Everclear to mellow out. It really makes a huge difference. But as with anything, try it along the way & bottle once you get what you're looking for. That said I definitely wouldn't go any less than 2 months. If you want something in a month or less just use a decent Vodka in place of Everclear as it'll be much easier going down. :wink:

I'm also infusing some vodka & bourbon with a mixture of fresh Mission Black Figs (also harvested off their property) & dried Mission Black figs. First time trying this. Hoping they'll also turn out delicious.
Always Thirsty
Dr. Bubra

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Oh & another key thing when peeling the lemons it to avoid taking any of the pith (white part under the skin), as it adds bitterness to the infusion. I find its super easy & fast to get the peel with no pith by zesting with a Microplane Zester!
Always Thirsty
Dr. Bubra

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Carbonation has a big impact on mouthfeel and body.

As to infusing, I've got 4 things steeping in 100 proof vodka... Vanilla beans, cinnamon, dried cranberries, and a roobios tea blend.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing