Full Boil?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 pm

With Tax time approaching I am going to upgrade just a little bit. I want to do a full boil instead of adding the water. I am still on the extract/specialty grain kits. How big of a pot should i get? And is there a certain amount of BTU output on burners i should look for? I've seen one for 55,000 BTUs and another for 120,000 BTUs. Of course the price is about $50 difference. Any help is appreciated!
Captain Fleshbeard

Re: Full Boil?

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:12 pm

Excellent choice, it's one of the best upgrades you can do at this point.

Kettle size is going to be determined by batch size & a little bigger is always better. For the kits you won't want anything smaller than 7 gallons. If you can afford bigger, do it, 5 gallon batches in a 7 gallon pot can be pretty messy at times & you'll have to watch for boil overs like a hawk... but it can be done. You could go all the way up to a 15 gallon, such as a converted keg & still do the 5 gallon batches fine. The advantage there is that if/when you decide to upgrade the rest of your equipment, you'll already have a kettle that can handle a 10 gallon all-grain batch. Most manufacturers making kettles specifically for homebrewing suggest you don't fill your kettle more than 75% of capacity. For the pre-boil volume on a 5 gallon batch, that would be a bit over 8 gallons for comparison.

As for burners, I highly recommend this one as a starter burner: http://www.compactappliance.com/Bayou-Classic-Square-High-Pressure-Single-Propane-Burner-SQ14/SQ14,default,pd.html?mtcpromotion=PLA%3EKitchen_Housewares%3EKitchen_Electrics%3EDeep_Fryers%3ESQ14&src=SHOPDISCOUNT&gclid=CMXm1LbZ6bQCFWrZQgodtWIAMA (note that I'm not recommending the seller, I just clicked on the first google picture that popped up. You may be able to find them at a better price with a little hunting). Again, it'll eliminate spending even more money down the road as it'll handle a *much* larger kettle & you can find them rather inexpensively. There's several other comparable options that would work just as well. I would ignore the BTU ratings for the most part as they're not very accurate. Especially for those jet-burners.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 am

Ozwald wrote: For the kits you won't want anything smaller than 7 gallons. If you can afford bigger, do it

Depending on brand/etc, there may not be a big difference in price between a 7 and something larger. For example, we sell a 7.5 and a 10.5... price difference is $5.... if only the first 7.5 gallons were only $1.67/gallon..
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:31 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Ozwald wrote: For the kits you won't want anything smaller than 7 gallons. If you can afford bigger, do it

Depending on brand/etc, there may not be a big difference in price between a 7 and something larger. For example, we sell a 7.5 and a 10.5... price difference is $5.... if only the first 7.5 gallons were only $1.67/gallon..

Exactly. I'd recommend the converted keg before anything, but it just depends on budget & availability. Really, anything between 7 & 15 will work, bigger is better, but it's really going to 'boil down' (heh) to the individual's situation.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 pm

I think a 10 gallon kettle would be just fine for what you are looking to do.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Cool, thanks for the input!
Captain Fleshbeard

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Captain Fleshbeard

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Not a fan of either. They'll do the job, I just don't care for the legs or 'jets' on these burners, but they are affordable.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing