Next Batch Ideas

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Hey guys,

gonna start a new batch of 5 gallon extract/specialty grain beer - dunkelweizen. I'm gonna follow a recipe given to me but wanted to ask your guidance on some ideas, these practices are all new to me.

- I'm going to boil for 90 instead of 60, still following a hop schedule for 60.
- I'm going to pour the cooled wort several times between bucket and brew kettle before pitching to aerate (new to me)
- I'm going to run a starter the night before of 2L at 1.030 of DME (so 15 hrs before pitch)
- I'm going to ferment for 14 days then bottle for 2 weeks. (I usually secondary for 2 weeks, i'm skipping this)
- I'm going to use 2 cups of priming sugar (dextrose?) for the bottles

Does all this sound pretty good.

(Fermentation will be tightly controlled at 68 for 2 weeks, bottles will ferment in closet at likely 70)
Extract Brewer
White labs only
Temp controlled drop in freezer for fermentation
mikevarela

Re: Next Batch Ideas

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:42 pm

All are fine except 2 cups of dextrose is too much.
Typically, you get medium carbonation levels with 3/4 cup.
Use a whole cup to get high carbonation,whichis perfect for that style. 2 cups of priming sugar will give you bottle grenades.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:58 pm

mikevarela wrote:Hey guys,

gonna start a new batch of 5 gallon extract/specialty grain beer - dunkelweizen. I'm gonna follow a recipe given to me but wanted to ask your guidance on some ideas, these practices are all new to me.

- I'm going to boil for 90 instead of 60, still following a hop schedule for 60.
- I'm going to pour the cooled wort several times between bucket and brew kettle before pitching to aerate (new to me)
- I'm going to run a starter the night before of 2L at 1.030 of DME (so 15 hrs before pitch)
- I'm going to ferment for 14 days then bottle for 2 weeks. (I usually secondary for 2 weeks, i'm skipping this)
- I'm going to use 2 cups of priming sugar (dextrose?) for the bottles

Does all this sound pretty good.

(Fermentation will be tightly controlled at 68 for 2 weeks, bottles will ferment in closet at likely 70)

Post results, then everyone can help you tweak the process based on the outcome.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:59 pm

How are you controlling fermentation? That is most important.......
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:43 am

mikevarela wrote:

-Make sure with your 90 minute boil that you're starting with a larger pre boil volume to account for additional evaporation due to the extra 30 minutes of boiling.

-I would do the starter 48 hours prior to pitching.

-Don't bottle after 14 days, it's too early. Leave it in primary for 3 weeks and then bottle so that you're assured off flavors are cleaned up and that you won't have a ton of sediment in each bottle. The amount of trub in a wheat beer is going to be even larger and will certainly lead to spoiling if there is an excess amount. There's no reason to rush to drinking beer that isn't fully fermented.

-Have fun :pop
Afterlab

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:39 am

I would recommend that you try to cold-crash the starter after it has fully fermented out overnight before pitching it into your cooled wort. This allows the yeast to drop out of suspension and leaves a nice slurry to pitch. Be sure to decant the excess chilled wort on top before pitching the yeast slurry into the fermenter. You simply don't want to pitch that extra oxidized wort into your beer if it can be avoided. Do be sure to leave enough liquid above the yeast so you can swirl it to resuspend the cells enough for pitching.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 am

+1 to a longer starter. 15 hours isn't going to give you a lot of benefit.

Don't plan on your timeline. Bottle it when it's ready. You don't know of that's going to be 2, 3 or 100 weeks without some experience (chances are it won't be 100 weeks, but the point is you don't know). As soon as you pitch, you're on it's timeline. Let it do it's thing, when it looks like it's done wait 2-3 more days. Take a gravity sample & record it. 24 hours later, take another gravity sample. If there wasn't any change at all, you're probably good depending on what the reading was.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing