Re: Donating Beer for a Charity

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:27 am

Hey guys OP here!! I decided not to do the charitable event after all. However we have BIG NEWS in CA!! Gov. Brown signed AB-1425 into law on 10/1. It ALLOWS homebrewers and homewinemakers to donate their beer/wine to a recognized charity event so that the charity can sell it!! Here is the important text of the law...
(b) Beer or wine produced pursuant to this section may be removed from the premises where made only under any of the following circumstances:

(1) For use, including tasting by judges, in a bona fide competition or exhibition.

(2) For personal or family use.

(3) When donated to a nonprofit organization for use as provided in subdivision (c).

(c) (1) Beer or wine produced pursuant to this section may be donated to a nonprofit organization for sale at fundraising events conducted solely by and for the benefit of the nonprofit organization. Beer and wine donated pursuant to this subdivision may be sold by the nonprofit organization only for consumption on the premises of the fundraising event, under a license issued by the department to the nonprofit organization pursuant to this division.

(2) Beer or wine donated and sold pursuant to this subdivision shall bear a label identifying its producer and stating that the beer or wine is homemade and not available for sale or for consumption off the licensed premises. The beer or wine is not required to comply with other labeling requirements under this division. However, nothing in this paragraph authorizes the use of any false or misleading information on a beer or wine label.

(3) A nonprofit organization established for the purpose of promoting home production of beer or wine, or whose membership is composed primarily of home brewers or home winemakers, shall not be eligible to sell beer or wine pursuant to this subdivision

I guess there were some long standing(30+ years) charitable homewinemaker festivals in NorCal that were shut down by the ABC. So they got the law changed!! This will work out great for a lot of us with "breweries in planning". We can serve beer, get a tax write off for ingredients and supplies, sell a little brewery schwag to cover costs, AND support a local charity. :jnj
hopheadfred

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:30 am

Nice!
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:47 pm

I feel a 'Save the Popsicle Sticks Foundation' in the works.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to General Beer Related