Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:42 pm

The point is actually moot. Unfortunately for us, Brewer's Supply group will not be sponsoring the show. They are just a guest.

I like the lively debate though!

Justin
Brewcaster J

Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:03 pm

I'm drunk enough to try and re-phrase Gucci's point, even though the arguement is technicly dead.
Say the Brewing Network was actually the Car Network.
Say Ford decided to sponsor it. They don't sell directly, they sell through dealers. But them being on the show may create demand for their product.
Same with White Labs, Hop Union, Wyeast, etc.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:34 pm

Should I

I guess so.

Okay, you use the car example - it really does not compare to this. Ford is a manufacture, that sells thru distributors.

brewerssupply is well - they are the distributor, not the manufacture. In fact, they ONLY distribute to other companies - this making them technically a wholesaler.

I hope during the conversation with them - a question is asked why they do not sell to the end consumer. I will not venture a guess as to why.

As I have said before in the posts, I understand the need for The Brewing Network to generate revenue in order to operate. I just wanted to point out that the guest does not sell to the normal homebrewer.

oh yea, you can by a ford direct btw ;) It will not save you anything, other than dealing with the sales"person".

disclamer - I was under the power of the pint...
Jay

Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:14 pm

The way I see it, if Frank Commanday from Brewer Supply Group, chooses to be a guest on the show, to impart grain and malting info to an audience that is not primarily his marketing nitch (homebrewers), I'd say that's pretty generous of him. That is only assuming there are no professional brewers, supply retailers, or wholesale redistributors listening; which I doubt is the case.

The feed back of Sunday's show may very well prompt Brewers Supply Group, to look at the homebrew supply retailers as a more fertile market. This means your very own LHBS may have one more source for your needs.

After you listen to few shows, you realize most of the guests agree to do the show simply because they love to talk about the things they love. And bless the Brewing Network for broadcasting it.
rich

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:09 am

My question is this: How many of us really grow, harvest, or malt our own grain? How many of us aspire to do so?

Like Justin said in the last show, there are only so many topics that can be covered. I like the nut's and bolts direction that they started to go over. Breaking everything way down to parade rest starting with sanitation, water, yeast, and GRAIN.

What I'm trying to say is this, Although I have little use for "brewersupplygroup" or whatever, what I can learn about the nature of grain will only improve my recipies and processes. So what if I can't purchase thier product directly. I'm actually happy that I don't have to bite on some consumerist advertising bullshit anyway to get the info I desire.

And if this makes no sense to anyone but me, well, I'm drunk again. So cut me some slack. If not, well F_L_U_F_A_H to you!
Big Chooch

I don't have a neat little quote because I'm not that cool.
Big Chooch

Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:11 am

Big Chooch wrote:My question is this: How many of us really grow, harvest, or malt our own grain? How many of us aspire to do so?

I've tried it with both amaranth and sorghum. I would be more interested in it if it wasn't so much damn work.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:08 am

"Lufah wrote"
I've tried it with both amaranth and sorghum. I would be more interested in it if it wasn't so much damn work.

Travis
Grain farming just isnt all its cracked up to be (no oun intended). I recall spending weeks sitting on a tractor sweating my ass off whilst the "priviledged" kids were swimming and doin kids things all summer. Gotta love the Midwest Family slavery.

Back to the subject, I dont think that sponsoring the show is mandatory when being a guest. How many times has Sean O'Sullivan been on, called in or otherwise shamelessly plugged "strong beer month, and watermelon wheat" was he required to sponsor the show for each occurance? Did Erik Beer and Colin Kaminski sponsor last weeks show? I think not, hell if it were that easy I would sponsor a show just to be a guest. (Now thats a good thought for a fund raiser) I am fucking stoked that they continue to get great guests that provide useful information related to brewing in general, not just homebrewing.

HH
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. (Bahl hornin')

Hell Freezes over show
" I am gunna guess this is an IPA. Its the same color as one and kinda tastes like one"
Dr Scott 8:10 pm Sunday Jan. 14th, 2007
Homegrown Hops

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:29 am

I buy my grain for my HBS from Brewers Supply in Denver. Great prices and the cheapest shipping for me as it is close. I don't understand the wholesaler debate issue. We had the White Labs guys on??? This is essentially the same thing, granted they don't manufacture the grain. I haven't listened to the show so I can't comment yet on what was said, but grain education can't be bad? From his perspective, if you know more about grain you will possibly buy grain from one of his HBS. Also, as an owner that listens, I like to hear from suppliers on the show. Education doesn't hurt business and all it cost him was 2 hours on a Sunday. Pretty good deal to me.

I forgot, we also had a hop supplier on too. Boy, if we stop having suppliers on we won't have much to listen to except some belching and Justin's rants.

:)
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Stuff