CQ CQ de AK7OZ

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:00 am

I know that we all have our 'side' hobbies away from the brew kettle & it seems that a lot of the more techie brewers I've talked with have more techie outside interests. Personally I'm into a variety of things, but I gravitate towards anything that can teach me something new.

I've been interested in electronics since I was pretty young and even went through a 2 year course in high school. When I was a ski patroller back east (West Michigan) our radio guy convinced me to expand my background into the world of amateur radio. I got my first license in '08, not long after I started brewing & listening to BBR & the BN. I've since upgraded to the highest level license, Amateur Extra - damn that test is tough.

Through a search I saw Boog mention in passing he was a Ham as well. Any other radio geeks out there?

Lee, AK7OZ
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Re: CQ CQ de AK7OZ

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah, I've been a ham for a few years. Currently an Advanced Class license as KEØBZ. First licensed in 1964 as WNØKSR. From a family of hams. Mom was licensed in 1948 as WØAYM and my dad in 1938 as WØMYT. Spent way too many years storm spotting here in tornado alley. Did handle net control duties down in Pensacola, Florida for the hurricane net during Hurricane Camille in 1969. My HF work has been mostly chasing dx on 15 and 20 meters with over 200 countries confirmed.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Re: CQ CQ de AK7OZ

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:19 pm

That's pretty cool. I wasn't too active until more recently. I was working with a 5w Yaesu HT, at least it was quad-band (6, 2, 220, 440). I finally got a decent mobile install, just a 2/440 dual band but I really enjoy it. Right now I'm working on setting up my new FT-897, my first HF rig. I finally got a decent ground am starting to hear some stuff off my 20/40 meter trapped dipole. It's not the best antenna setup, but I don't have a whole lot of options from my apartment balcony. Not to mention I'm working with a manual tuner which seems to have a bit of a learning curve - I'm terrified of burning up my rig every time I tune up, but I'm getting a little better at it after a couple nights of practice. I'm still trying for my first QSO on HF. Would you be interested in a rag chew sometime? I'd be truly honored to have you be the first in my log book.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Off Topic Stuff