I need a freaking brew day

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:20 am

Seriously, I need a day off to make some beer. I'm trying to get a book published, and that's one of the most stressful things I've ever done, and I was in Oklahoma when the first F5 hit. It's so stressful that I used to get at least one panic attack a year. Until I found all you guys and this awesome hobby.

Maybe I'm weird, but for me, brewing is better than therapy. Is that weird? Anyone else feel like brewing's one of the best things that ever happened to them?

For the record, I haven't had a panic attack since I started brewing in 2012.
GilesTH

Re: I need a freaking brew day

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 am

agreed! That's why I try to brew at least 1-2 times per month. Totally worth taking sick days (if possible) for it as well...
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 am

It is sort of meditative for sure. spending 4-6 hours involved a semi-magical process that demands your attention more than the little imps of anxiety.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"

-A. Einstein
morticaixavier

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:23 am

I need to brew too, but it's just been too cold here. Everything has been frozen, so this weekend will be a welcomed brew day. Doing Nate's Citrus bomb. Going to try to submit it to the NHC.
NervousDad

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:46 am

I used to stress more when I brewed but now I turn off everything else that needs to be done and just brew. The wife is very supportive and makes sure I find time to brew.

I hate this time of the year though because planned brewdays can go a wry very quickly with the winter weather ( i.e. last Monday 10F and 20-25mph winds). Winter can SUCK IT!! By this time next year I hope to have some sort of electric setup.

Now get brewin'!! :jnj
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:06 am

TheDarkSide wrote:I used to stress more when I brewed but now I turn off everything else that needs to be done and just brew. The wife is very supportive and makes sure I find time to brew.

I hate this time of the year though because planned brewdays can go a wry very quickly with the winter weather ( i.e. last Monday 10F and 20-25mph winds). Winter can SUCK IT!! By this time next year I hope to have some sort of electric setup.

For a moment, I couldn't figure out what the weather had to do with it, then I remembered I'm doing 3 gallon all grain batches on my stove because going outdoors would get me fined by my stupid HOA. I can see, now, why it sucks to brew in the winter. I wouldn't want to be outside in -4 (what we had out in Denver a few weeks ago) just to make beer.
GilesTH

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:19 pm

GilesTH wrote:
TheDarkSide wrote:I used to stress more when I brewed but now I turn off everything else that needs to be done and just brew. The wife is very supportive and makes sure I find time to brew.

For a moment, I couldn't figure out what the weather had to do with it, then I remembered I'm doing 3 gallon all grain batches on my stove because going outdoors would get me fined by my stupid HOA. I can see, now, why it sucks to brew in the winter. I wouldn't want to be outside in -4 (what we had out in Denver a few weeks ago) just to make beer.

I ended up splitting my 6 gallon batch into 2 3 gallons batches. I am not a fan of brewing inside because I have a stupid electric stove.

I think you need to brew a batch for your HOA President. :jnj
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 pm

TheDarkSide wrote:I think you need to brew a batch for your HOA President. :jnj

I would, but she's a real uptight, old woman. I'm surprised she hasn't pushed for a residency age of 35 or older. Just to keep younguns like my wife and me from buying condos in the complex.

I have a glass-top electric stove, and I've found it gets my beer up to a boil pretty quickly. I think I can get through a brew day in four hours or less if nothing goes wrong. And that includes prep and cleanup.
GilesTH

Next

Return to Off Topic Stuff