Re: brake pads

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:25 am

bazookazilla wrote:......... but I don't know which wheel it came from. I greased the guide pins (they were very easy to find, after learning what they are). How heavy of a coat of brake grease is it safe to put on the back of the pads?

Usually when the inner pad is more worn it indicates that a piston is sticking and the caliper needs repaired/replaced. It could also mean the pad is sticking inside the bracket, which is caused from the bracket not being properly cleaned where the pad rides (and underneath the shim if applicable).

If the outer pad is more worn, it usually indicates the guide pins are dirty, or do not have enough grease. Or again the pad is sticking… same thing as above.

Grease on the back of the pads is one of those religion questions, kind of like hot side aeration or cold pitching. There is not a definitive answer. If you put it on, keep to a minimum and only where the piston/brake contacts the pad.
You are using grease designed for brake calipers right?
Bad Goat Brewing

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:31 am

[quote="Bad Goat Brewing"
You are using grease designed for brake calipers right?[/quote]

Crisco

No, just kidding. CRC Brake and Caliper Grease.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:50 pm

My guess you probably need a new caliper on the squeaky side. I'm not a 100% though, because i'm suprised that the inner pad was worn less, which normally means dirty and or unlubed guide pins, or dirty pad bracket.

Please let us know what it ends up being, I'm really curious.
Bad Goat Brewing

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:27 am

bazookazilla wrote:
Bad Goat Brewing wrote:You are using grease designed for brake calipers right?

Crisco

No, just kidding. CRC Brake and Caliper Grease.

Oh see that's the problem. You should have gone with the Crisco...

Yeah it's odd that the inner pad was less worn.
forcera

Previous

Return to Off Topic Stuff