Re: brake pads

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:Were the old brake pads evenly worn? Ie Same amount of material on the top and bottom of each pad, the inner and outer pad equal thickness?
Yes

Did all of the pistons press in with a similar effort?
Yes

Did you grease the guide pins?
No. I'm not sure what the guide pins are.

Does the sound change when you press on the brake pedal?
Yes

Did you clean the track the pads ride?
No
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:29 pm

The guide pins are what the caliper rides on to move back and forth, they have dust over them to keep the grease from collecting dirt(lots of pics on google images). If they get dirty, or the grease washes off they can cause the pads to drag even after you release the brakes. They are easy to check if you have caliper off to change pads. This isn't that common for a vehicle with only 66k though.

Also if the bracket where the pads slide is excessively dirty it can cause the pads to drag.

My last guess would be you have a sticking caliper. Does the noise come from one side of the truck? If so is that wheel hotter than the other wheel after you drive it?
Bad Goat Brewing

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Bad Goat Brewing wrote: Does the noise come from one side of the truck? If so is that wheel hotter than the other wheel after you drive it?

I haven't checked the temps of the wheels, but the noise definitely comes from the passengers side. I will check tomorrow.
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:16 pm

use caution when checking the temp - don't just jam your hand down on it. it can get insanely hot if it is dragging and you just go around the block. ask me how I know that.
code
codewritinfool

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:21 am

codewritinfool wrote:use caution when checking the temp - don't just jam your hand down on it. it can get insanely hot if it is dragging and you just go around the block. ask me how I know that.

Thats a good point. Your brakes can get pretty hot under normal use, even if they are working normaly.
Bad Goat Brewing

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:55 am

I took the brakes apart again yesterday and lubed everything up properly. The squealing hasn't completely gone away, but it isn't as loud. After taking a second look at the old brake pads there is one inside pad that is much less worn than the 3 other pads, but I don't know which wheel it came from. I greased the guide pins (they were very easy to find, after learning what they are). How heavy of a coat of brake grease is it safe to put on the back of the pads?
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:35 am

bazookazilla wrote:I took the brakes apart again yesterday and lubed everything up properly. The squealing hasn't completely gone away, but it isn't as loud. After taking a second look at the old brake pads there is one inside pad that is much less worn than the 3 other pads, but I don't know which wheel it came from. I greased the guide pins (they were very easy to find, after learning what they are). How heavy of a coat of brake grease is it safe to put on the back of the pads?

When I have had squeaking that wouldn't go away it was always the guide pins.

Just checking but did you mean to say that one is LESS worn? My thinking was that you maybe had a piston seal that was going bad and the piston on that caliper was sticking. That would be the easy case assuming that you have one piston per caliper.
forcera

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 am

Nope. 2 pistons per caliper. Still squeaking and driving me nuts!! 98% of the squeaking is when I'm not touching the brake pedal. When I do that it quiets down.
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Stuff