Removing adhesives from automobiles

Fri May 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Hopefully someone will know a good way to get this stuff off!! I put rail covers on my truck shortly after I bought it in 2008. I stuck them on with these super sticky foamy strips when I got them and now one has blown loose/broken off and left me with little white sticky foam strips going all the way down the rail. I wanna get them off and the other side too but want to make sure I don't fudge up the finish. A friend recommended using a hair dryer to heat the strips to get them off and using Goo-Gone to clean the residue. I have thought about a hair dryer and Zippo lighter fluid to get the residue off. I also have Hoppe's #9 solvent that seems to eat up all kind of gross stuff, but I don't know if that will wreck the paint on my truck. Does anyone have experience or suggestions as to how to get this stuff off??

Thanks in advance!!!
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: Removing adhesives from automobiles

Fri May 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Hair driers work good for those things every fucking car lot just has to put on the back of your car (assholes). I think in this case, however, I'd opt for the Zippo fluid. I'd keep some soapy water on hand, just to keep the exposure time to a minimum & do a wash/wax after. Just my $0.02. You can expect an invoice early next week.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat May 21, 2016 3:41 am

I have used a product called Goof Off which works amazingly well for removing stuff like that. I used it to take some 3M automotive double stick foam tape (sounds similar to your stuff) and it came off in a jiffy. I had to let it soak for maybe 5-20 minutes, it was a while ago so it is a bit foggy. That stuff works great for removing all sorts of stuff, so it is handy to have around.

http://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-FG653-Pr ... s=goof+off

Around here anyway, it is widely available (the big box stores, little hardware stores, etc). I haven't tried the no-odor one, so I can't speak to how well that works. It tends to go a long way too, I have had the same spray can of it for about 8 years. I would definitely also try it on a little spot first to make sure it doesn't do anything to the finish (it hasn't in the past for me).
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun May 29, 2016 4:59 pm

barls

Tue May 31, 2016 3:17 am

NateBrews wrote:I have used a product called Goof Off which works amazingly well for removing stuff like that. I used it to take some 3M automotive double stick foam tape (sounds similar to your stuff) and it came off in a jiffy. I had to let it soak for maybe 5-20 minutes, it was a while ago so it is a bit foggy. That stuff works great for removing all sorts of stuff, so it is handy to have around.

http://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-FG653-Pr ... s=goof+off

Around here anyway, it is widely available (the big box stores, little hardware stores, etc). I haven't tried the no-odor one, so I can't speak to how well that works. It tends to go a long way too, I have had the same spray can of it for about 8 years. I would definitely also try it on a little spot first to make sure it doesn't do anything to the finish (it hasn't in the past for me).

2nd this - used this on a few cars' raised stickers over the years. Wipes easily - no damage to paint/finish
imahokie

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:44 am

I have used it for my car audio amplifier! Its working very nice for floating ground adapter for my car sound line level signal. :bnarmy: :aaron
Christofer

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 am

i agree with the hairdryer method, then a soft solvent adhesive remover
kendrick81

Return to Off Topic Stuff