DME Bread

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:57 am

Not the most gormet thing and I am sure many of you have tried this. I have a simple bread recipe that I like. Sugar, water, salt, flour and eggs. This time I replaced all the sugar with some extra light DME I had in the cabinet. It turned out great. You can really taste that malt but its not over powering. Thought I would share this info with the army.
Private First Class TBN Militia
Fermentor 1: JZ Scottish 70/-
Fermentor 2:None
Kegged: JZ's Smoked Porter (2nd place medal winning)
Bitter American Clone Attempt
Lennybuzz

Re: DME Bread

Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:49 pm

I do a bunch of baking with rye flour. This particular flour is made from malted rye. Has a much nicer flavor than bread made with flour from unmalted grains. There seems to be a bit of enzymatic action during the rising process that adds some sweetness and helps with rising such a heavy bread.

Malt extract is great stuff to add to lots of foods. Try it in some oatmeal cookies. Put a couple tablespoons of it in the blender with some ice cream and a little milk for a great malt just like you used to be able to get at the neighborhood soda fountain.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm sure I could google this, but wasn't malt extract for bread baking and the like how a number of breweries made it through the dark ages (Prohibition)?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:02 am

spiderwrangler wrote:I'm sure I could google this, but wasn't malt extract for bread baking and the like how a number of breweries made it through the dark ages (Prohibition)?

That is what it said on the can of Blue Ribbon Malt that I used for my first brew back in 1972 before homebrewing was legal.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to Great Food VigArously