Venison & Chocolate Porter Pot Roast

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:05 am

I used two standard sized crock pots this weekend to make a roast for my wife's side of the family. One roast was all venison, the other was an english cut beef roast. Both were delicious.

Once the roast was finished cooking I sequestered some of the juices and mixed in some flour to thicken up the sauce, then added it back to the crock pot. I've done this once with an Amber I made and it was difficult to distinguish the beer's flavor, the chocolate porter added a whole 'nother level.

2-2.5lbs meat
handful of cut carrots
2 medium sliced and diced onions
4stalks of chopped celery
generous handful of sliced mushrooms
full glass beer
.5 cup beef broth

served with horseradish and carmalized onion mashed potatoes.
amg800

Re: Venison & Chocolate Porter Pot Roast

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Sounds delicious. Reminds me of a very similar recipe we created on the fly after visiting Long Trail Brewery in Vermont. We purchased a bunch of beer, including the Brewmaster Series Imperial Porter and I decided that it would be best honored as a marinade for the Veal Loin Chops we received from our local dairy farmer! What a great weekend, it really brings me back.

I love cooking with porters. Im inspired to give your recipe a try. I feel that a crock pot will allow for many more cuts of meat (including those great cuts for stewing and braising - often cheaper too), while allowing the meat to cook in the beer itself contributing much more flavor!

Recently my friend used a Youngs Double Chocolate Stout in his Chili Con Carne... the Chef/Professor was extremely impressed.
schreck

Return to Great Food VigArously