malt flour

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:06 am

I wanted to make some malt flour, to mix in with my catfish I am frying. This might sound like a dumb question but asside from crushing it what else does it entail? should I sperate the husks out? etc.... Thanks guys :aaron :drink :drink
7 city country roads brewery

FBDU fortune cookie writer / brew ninja
the lizard king

Re: malt flour

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:34 am

Pulverize and sift it and you should pretty much be there... any particular malt you are planning on using for your fish?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:24 am

na I just thought about using some marris otter, this is my first go at cooking with that stuff, it is going to be a trial and error process.
7 city country roads brewery

FBDU fortune cookie writer / brew ninja
the lizard king

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 am

Yeah, you'll want to remove the husks. Best bet would be to use a sieve that's got the right size. Some husks are no big deal, but most of the flour should come from the starch on the inside. On the other hand if you ground everything up nice and fine, it'd be "whole grain", which is pretty hip these days, right?

FWIW you can buy malt flour at good baking shops (also called diastatic flour). Bakers use it to break down some of the starches in the wheat flour to give their resultant breads a bit of a sweeter taste (or produce more yeastfood). Making your own is probably a lot more satisfying though.
pfooti

Return to Great Food VigArously