Combo sous vide and HERMS/RIMS setup- anybody else try this?

Mon May 09, 2011 9:35 am

Lately, I've been experimenting with sous vide style cooking. That more or less boils down to (hah!) vacuum-sealing some food and putting it in a warm water bath that holds at 110-170° F for a few hours. For now, I've been using a well-insulated cooler and just swapping water in and out as needed to hold temps. I already have a foodsaver vacuum thing for packing up hops, plus a thermapen for good temp readings. Things went pretty well in the initial runs, but I'd really like to be able to fire-and-forget: set up the sous vide stuff when I get home from work (or before I leave) and have it ready to go a few hours later for dinner.

An actual sous vide machine (just a water bath thing with a good temp control panel) costs about $500 or more, which I'm not in the mood to spend. DIY time.

Some people just use a PID to control a crockpot or rice cooker, but I thought a heating element naked to the liquid (plus a heating element is a fair bit cheaper than a rice cooker and more flexible). I was in the middle of designing a DIY sous vide system when I realized that I was basically building a herms or rims setup. I need to use a PID to control a heating element to hold my liquid at a sub-boiling temperature for a long time.

That's when I decided to try and design this thing to be dual-purpose. What I want to build is a Device, that when hooked in line to my mash tun recirc system will hold the mashing wort (what's liquid that's halfway between sweet wort and liquor called?) at a constant temp (152° F or whatever) and when not being used to mash can be relocated upstairs to the kitchen for sous vide duties.

At this point, I have two competing designs. One is pretty much just a HERMS pot- an electric heating element attached inside one of my older pots, with a stainless heat exchange coil running through it. I can arrange the coil such that it acts as a basket so the plastic bags of food don't rest directly on the heating element, and just use the pot as the heat bath as needed. An extra inlet and outlet at top and bottom, and I can recirc the clear water during sous vide to keep even heating (might also do that during the mash, but that would require a second pump).

The second design is a much smaller Box that has a heating element and thermocouple sticking out of it. The entire Box sits on top of an open pot (or insulated container) such that both are submerged. This can be attached to whatever pot I need to heat sous-vide style. It has the benefit of being a bit more useful for actual sous-vide duties (as it can be attached to whatever size pot is needed for the food I'm cooking) but less useful for mashing. I'd be able to cook up a RIMS tube, more or less, for mashing.

In a related note, why are all RIMS tubes made of stainless steel? The designs I've seen all work out to be pretty expensive just for the tube and various attachments. All one really needs is a heat- and chemical-resistant foodsafe enclosure for the liquid to be run over a heating element in. I imagine I could build one of those a lot cheaper than those fancy triclover getups. On the other hand, stainless triclover is prettier (and a bit easier to clean) than an aluminum pot.

Anybody do anything like this? Advice from both sides (HERMS/RIMS design and sous vide) welcome.
pfooti

Re: Combo sous vide and HERMS/RIMS setup- anybody else try this?

Thu May 12, 2011 8:54 am

Well, I've gone and ordered a bunch of parts- got a PID controller, thermocouple and relay from a supplier. I'm still kind of torn on whether I want to make this a clamp-on box with a heating element sticking out of it (that could could attach to either my mash tun or my sous vide setup directly) or something that's permanently attached to a water bath which I could then run wort through via a stainless heat exchanger. The first seems cheaper and more prone to disastrous failures.
pfooti

Thu May 12, 2011 9:16 am

SABCO makes a RIMS setup, oddly enough called RIMS Magic, that is similar to what you descibe. RIMS and sous vide are essentially the same, recirculating hot liquid at controlled temp to cook foods. I would suggest building this as a separate appliance that you could conect to your mash tun. This has two advantages. First, it makes it easier to clean and sanitize both items. Second, it allows you to use the mash tun separatly should you have issues with the recirculating unit. Also, keeping them separate would allow you to use the mash tun as the recirculating tank for sous vide. Perhaps a Blchmann auto sparge as a check valve to prevent overflow?

My two cents,
Alan
alan_marks

Thu May 12, 2011 9:49 am

Hmm, cool beans. That looks pretty similar to the Doohickey I'll probably end up building but with one exception. Sabco's charging 1.7 kilobucks for their getup. That RIMS magic better come with some kind of oral sex attachment to make it worth that much money. My entire price for a top-end getup, even using triclover stainless everywhere is still under $500. I bet I'll have the whole thing built for $200, not including the pump.
pfooti

Thu May 12, 2011 10:16 am

pfooti wrote:... That RIMS magic better come with some kind of oral sex attachment to make it worth that much money...

That would be the Schumann 5000 Rims Magic...
alan_marks

Wed May 18, 2011 6:43 pm

I have done three sous vide sessions on my rig. I do 148 in the HLT, and 135 in the mash tun. Then I paint on some garlic butter, and sear the steaks with a propane torch. Best way to make steaks, hands down.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Return to Great Food VigArously