Rib Rubs

Wed May 15, 2013 8:01 am

I'm tired of my rib rub. Its damn good, just worn out to me.
Any of you fellers got any good ones? Mine is brown sugar based. Looking for something a little different. I thought about a Jamaican jerk style, bit I just don't know.
Anyone?
Thanks guys!
Cheers!
snowcapt

Re: Rib Rubs

Wed May 15, 2013 8:05 am

Coffee can be nice. Nothing wrong going with a good jerk recipe, but I've had more bad ones than good.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 8:20 am

Coffee? Do tell.
They will be going on my smoker. Sorry, oz.
I don't overdo it, though.I just like the indirect heat, more than anything. Slow and low, buddy.
snowcapt

Wed May 15, 2013 1:50 pm

It's probably similar to what you have but I love the one Homer Smith gave on the Session. I cut back on the chili powder though, mostly because the wife and son don't like it spicy hot.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Haven't done ribs before, mostly because I don't like how fatty most of the commercial ones are, so haven't tried it on them, but have a pulled pork rub if you are interested.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 pm

I don't eat pork at all, but I've had to cook plenty of them commercially. I worked under one chef who always had rave reviews on his ribs, but I can't recall what all went into his blend. One of us usually made it en mass, filled several old Sysco containers & we didn't have to deal with it again for a while. I only had to do it a couple times.

A general coffee rub would be with salt, paprika, brown sugar & maybe some onion powder, celery salt, garlic powder... there's several variations on it. A Google search was quicker than digging out my recipe box, here's one I found that looks pretty similar to mine:

6 T Ground Coffee
2 T Coarse Salt
2 T Paprika
2 T Brown Sugar
2 T Coarse Pepper
2 t Onion Powder
2 t Garlic Powder
1 t Coriander

Edit:
Some chili powder & dry mustard would be pretty nice with that now that I re-read it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Ozwald wrote:I don't eat pork at all

:shock: Thats ok, I'll eat your share for you.

Snowcapt, Ive got a Jamaican jerk marinade I use all the time, Im not sure what it would be like on ribs but hell give it a shot. I know that at the Jamaican oil drum BBQ's they use alot of pimento wood, which I do not know if you can find around here.
http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/05/jerk-chicken - This is the recipe that I base my recipe on, I dont really know how to explain mine, I use my own habenero/scotch bonnet based hot sauce instead of just the scotch bonnets.

have fun, and stay safe, this stuff can blow you away :jnj
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Thu May 16, 2013 2:24 pm

I like Rudy's Rub. A lot of rubs are too salty for me. Rudy's more of a pepper rub. Rudy's is a chain of restaurants that does smoky BBQ in Texas. A lot of people that I give my brisket and ribs to don't really like Rudy's and can't believe that I'm using their rub, but using their rub at home with care is way better than when they mass produce food in their restaurants. Here's the web site if you're interested: http://www.rudysbbq.com/store/c-3-rubs.aspx
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Next

Return to Great Food VigArously