Re: Tortillas

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:02 pm

PorkSlapper wrote:When I can I buy my tortillas from a little shop in Mattawa, Wa. Never ever go to Mattawa for anything other than fresh totillas or to do a drive by shooting.

The Mexican food in eastern washington is one of the best parts of eastern washington. If you think you may get stabbed while in line, the resulting food will be worth it.
adamK

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:55 pm

You're all too far north to be talking tortillas. Check out this website. http://www.homesicktexan.com/ There's lots of good recipes and some good tips for making tortillas. One of the most important things I've found is the time you let the dough rest before rolling out. The longer the better. I've been using bacon grease as the fat ingredient. Another thing I like to do is to replace about a quarter of the all purpose flour with some cake flour. It makes for a really light and pliable tortilla that even stays soft after a week or so in the fridge.
EllisTX

Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:04 pm

PorkSlapper wrote:When I can I buy my tortillas from a little shop in Mattawa, Wa. Never ever go to Mattawa for anything other than fresh totillas or to do a drive by shooting.

That place is the same as the place I buy mine from in Pasco. Definitely the best
Bokonon

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 am

That is the exact same dough recipe I use for Pot Stickers. I squish out small balls, fill with sausage and spices, and then pan steam in veggie broth.

I want to try the bacon fat now and use it with cheese burger filling now. Hmm
TheDumpBuckets

Previous

Return to Great Food VigArously