X Mas Gifts

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:18 am

My wife and I usually make a bunch of stuff to give away as X-mas gifts. Last night we made marshmallows, an orange cake with orange liquor, some oatmeal bars, fudge, and I made my beer mustard (recipe follows). Anyone else make stuff?

Beer Mustard:
2 cups dry mustard flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp tumeric
10-12 oz flat ale

Place dry ingredients in a food processor and blend, add beer as blending. Be careful adding the beer only add enough for the mixture to become mustard like, don't add too much.

Oh yeah, we also give away homebrew!
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:42 am

I almost didn't respond to this thread, as I was worried about sounding like a fop -- :)

Our kitchen is full of gift bags of cookies/cheese cake and Alton Brown's White Trash (beware, it's addictive):

Alton Brown's White Trash

Two 11-ounce bags of white chocolate chips
3½ cups Cheerios cereal
3 cups Rice Chex cereal
3 cups Corn Chex cereal
1 pound plain M&Ms (red & green, of course) ("Medium" bag)
2½ cups deluxe mixed nuts (salted, no peanuts) (1 can)
2 cups small pretzels

Lay sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper on two large, rimmed cookie sheets. Set aside.

Combine everything except for the white chocolate chips in a very large bowl. Stir until everything is well-mixed. Set aside.

Melt the white chocolate chips into a double-boiler over simmering water. Be careful that the chocolate doesn't scorch. OR melt it in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time with your microwave on high stirring in-between. Once the white chocolate has melted, glop it over the cereal mixture. Stir it thoroughly with a rubber spatula.

Pour mixture onto the prepared cookie sheets. Press until the mixture is evenly spread throughout the pan. Keep in a cool place until hardened. Break off into bite-sized pieces. Store in Christmas tins and give some away.

OPTIONS: You can lay the wax paper/parchment directly on your counter if you have room. We use a huge metal bowl for the double boiler and fold the dry ingredients directly into the white chocolate a little at a time. It's a lot easier to stir it in a big bowl than on a cookie sheet.

Push Eject
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:16 am

Not me, I just make Beer, Cider (first time) and Wine...
Speyedr

Return to Great Food VigArously