Dungeness Crab Benedict

Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:12 am

Yep,
This is a classic dish with a little West coast flair.

Materials:

Eggs
english muffins
Canadian Bacon
Dungeness Crab (fresh $$$ available locally here)
Clarified Butter (or melted works)
Champagne vinegar (or white, rice wine, etc..)
Lemons 1-2 fresh squeezed

red potatos
spices for taters (gran garlic, salt, blk pepper, paprika)
olive oil

Directions:

Dice potatos into whatever size chunks you like. mix in a bowl with spices of choice and toss in olive oil to coat. Get them onto a sheet pan and into 350f oven.

Separate egg yolks from white and reserve yolks ( at least on per person served, I do two per) for Hollandaise. Clarify or melt butter in microwave.

Get a pot of water on stove top and add Vinegar to the water ( I dont measure it, just add about 1/4 cup per gallon (keeps eggs from sticking to the others and bottom o pan) . Bring water to a simmer.

Cut and butter E muffin halves and place one piece of "Back" bacon on each half place into 350f oven to warm, when warm add some crab meat ( I used the claw meat) and warm through.

Sauce:
Place yolks into metal bowl with a small shot of vinegar (add white wine or light ale shot for added flavor), beat the mixture until "frothy" and pale yellow. Now heat the egg mixture over a double boiler or direct heat (becareful) and continually beat the eggs until they start to thicken, remove from heat still stirring and add juice of one lemon, contiune stirring. Drizzle in the butter (clarified or melted) until all the butter is incorporated. Place uncovered in a warm (not hot) place.

Poach eggs and plate up:

To poach add eggs one at a time to the simmering vinegar water, use slotted spoon to release the eggs from bottom of pan. When they float they are roughly (over med). I pull them when they are coagulated enough to get them out without breaking (over easy).

Place muffin assembly on plate, place poached egg on top and add Hollandaise as needed. Sprinkle with a lil Paprika for garnish and add a portion of potatos, fruit (if desired) and grub down.

We had this with Mimosas, but any light ale would go well with this at 8am

If adding wine or other it really is not a Hollandaise anymore but a Sabayon but WGAF its good stuff either way.

Any questions feel free to contact me.

HH
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. (Bahl hornin')

Hell Freezes over show
" I am gunna guess this is an IPA. Its the same color as one and kinda tastes like one"
Dr Scott 8:10 pm Sunday Jan. 14th, 2007
Homegrown Hops

Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:51 pm

Alternative "no heat" holandaise (I like this better than the real thing)
2 egg yolks
Mayonasie (not miracle whip)
Lemon Juice
Onion Salt

add enough mayo to the 2 yolks to make a thick sauce then add lemon juice to taste... a bit of onion salt and voila!
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:57 pm

that gross bub. here is the recipe from a restaurant that i worked at that i made atleast 1000 times, very good.
1) 3 egg yolks
2) 2 tablespoon lemon juice
3) 3 tablespoons white wine
4) hot sauce, some, whatever you like
combine and whisk vigArously over low heat until kind of thick, hard to describe, just got to know what it should look like, should not look like scrambled eggs, you want it to look like yellow dense foam, kinda like the head on duvel but yellow, heat slowly and fairly low
5) one pound melted butter, add it very slowly, atleast in the beginning
done
straight cash homey

Return to Great Food VigArously