DME battered Chicken?

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:32 am

Has anyone tried using DME instead of flower to coat chicken or shrimp before frying?

I've heard of beer battered fried chicken and/or shrimp but I never knew what was in it/how it was made.

I don't know if this would taste good or be noticeable though, just wondering?
Brewby

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:37 am

It would probably sweeted the chicken (or whatever meat used). Thinking about it, I would use a very light coating, then egg, then bread crumbs. Then bake or fry. I would probably go with a fairly strong and acidic sauce to balance the sweet.
:bnarmy:
Brewing, Teaching, Consulting, and mostly just cleaning...

Brewer in NC at a Pub to be named later...
Geistbier

Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:49 am

Man, that's not a bad idea. Let us know how it turns out. As far as I know beer battered food replaces some or all of the liquid in the bater w/ beer while still using flower as a base. Maybe all you should do is cut the flower w/ DME and use some homebrew plus egg for the liquid...Sounds good.
Brancid

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:17 pm

I think the DME would be too sweet. If you have a glaze recipe or a recipe that uses sugar I would substitute that out for DME. I just think unless you did something counter that DME it wouldn't be edible.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:40 pm

At the temps you would make oil to fry, the DME would just burn like sugar. DME is 90+% sugar anyway.

Did you know that DME is what is inside Malted Milk Balls? I have thought about trying to make some home made ones. Wet some DME, roll into little balls and dip in chocolate. Not much more to it than that. But would the DME be crunchy or chewey?
GooberMcNutly

Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:19 pm

GooberMcNutly wrote:At the temps you would make oil to fry, the DME would just burn like sugar. DME is 90+% sugar anyway.

Did you know that DME is what is inside Malted Milk Balls? I have thought about trying to make some home made ones. Wet some DME, roll into little balls and dip in chocolate. Not much more to it than that. But would the DME be crunchy or chewey?

I remember someone posting the recipe for making those over on www.hbd.org a couple years ago. You might go there to the discussions area and do a search of the archives.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:46 pm

I think I'd try it, but maybe making it as a glaze for baked or grilled chicken (like Beer Can chicken!). I think I have a recipe for Chinese Lacquered Chicken somewhere, where sugar makes a hard glaze.
I put a few spoonfuls of Amber LME in my turkey burgers last night...seemed to sweeten them some, but there wasn't enough to make them taste like turkey burger malted milkshake.

I've also been thinking of a LME/Chocolate sauce for ice cream. Anyone try that?
Take pride in your achievements...because your failings will be punished without mercy.
Primary: American IPA (FWH!)
Bottled: 10W40 American Stout
Bottled: Utility American Mild
Lagering: Maibock
Bike Geek T-Shirts: www.cafepress.com/bzndesigns
Mr DNA

Return to Great Food VigArously