Homemade cheese

Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:28 pm

Just finished up my first batch of homemade cheese. Anyone else make cheese? It was really pretty easy. If it comes out good I plan on making a couple different types Mmmmm roasted garlic cheddar! Or perhaps some beer cheese!
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:21 am

That sounds good. Any good books or links I can look at?
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 pm

I am eating my first batch of cheese(colby) as we speak...7-24-7 was the date made.. Ive made 3 batches since but have not tried.. My first batch was good but too bitter.. The colder the better it tastes.. It also is a little crumbly.. Hopefully my jack cheddar and gouda will be better.. i cant wait to start the stinky cheeses -- - - my true love..
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. beer!

BN Army Janitor
mykafone

Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Here is the link I used:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Ch ... gal_00.htm

The cheese came out ok. But, I set the rennet too hard and it is more like a hard cheese that a medium hard cheese. Still pretty good though.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:36 am

Thanks for the link! I am going to have a bunch of time off next month. This will give me something to do besides brew.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:41 am

One of the co-owners of my LHBS as a big cheesemaker as well so they carry those supplies too...looking forward to giving it a shot.
"I encompass, and I eclipse..."
J.Brew

Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:07 am

this sounds like a good winter project on a cold february day. Oh wait thats why I have a snowmobile. I still think i am going to try Cheesin this winter though!
They call me Crut
**BREW STRONG**
I brew for schnitz and giggles
Corporal in the BN Army
Brewer for Shorts Brewing in Bellaire MI
Crut

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:07 am

I recently made my first batch of cheese - a mozzarella. Easy as pie and tasted great. I'm hooked and will be making plenty of others. First on the agenda is some Camembert and then I will be trying for as close to a Roquefort as I can get with cows milk.

Its kinda cool, but although in Australia, it's really hard to get raw milk cheese and you aren't allowed to buy/sell unpasturised milk for human consumption (you need raw milk for Roquefort) the health-food shop near me sells raw unpasturised, unhomogenised milk... not to drink, oh no, that wouldn't be legal ...but its fine if its for bathing in Cleopatra style. If I am foolish enough to drink it or try and make cheese out of it.. thats my own damn problem.

I may well just be that foolish!!

mmmm Roquefort, Stilton, Barleywine washed rind....
Thirsty Boy

Next

Return to Great Food VigArously