So who is cooking up a bird next Thursday and how?

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:57 am

I never do the oven roasted turkey thing, most of it is crap.

I grew up with grilled/smoked turkeys. Partially de-boned cooked beast down in a roasting pan on one side of the grill. Coal bed on the other side of the grill and a cast iron box with wood chips against the coal bed in between. Gets you some smoke, some indirect heat, and good moisture from a liquid bath in the bottom of the roasting pan.

A few years ago I started deep frying my birds. For the Holiday's I do a simple herb butter injection for a very light flavor. If I fry one off season I get a little different and inject it with a spicy jerk or Cajun blend seasoning.

So how does everyone cook up their Holiday Bird?
"I've come to realize that just about everything is none of my business." Br. Cassian Vigna

Corporal in the BN Army.
ApexBrewing

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:03 pm

Brined and oven roasted, baby. The brining gets so much flavor all through the bird, and the right roasting regimen keeps the meat juicy.
What's on tap: Cream Ale, Imperial Blonde
Secondary: British Amber,
Primary: APA
http://bubrew.org
DannyW

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:42 pm

I still haven't decided, either smoked or deep fried. I introduced the older side of my family to deep fried turkey last year. Them old folks just couldn't believe you could do a turkey from start to finish in one hour. They were pretty excited when they tried it though. I actually thought about smoking a bird until its about 50% done then dropping it in the fryer, but I think I will try that experiment some other day other that TDay.

Barry
Eagle Creek Brewer

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:06 pm

I just picked up the bird today, and I'm going to brine it for a day or two. Then I'm going to inject it the day before, and toss that bastard into a big pot of oil (frying the turkey could land me a new brewpot). My mouth is watering just thinking about thursday.
I think I've had about enough beer tonight...Now I need some Whiskey to sober up
oneal66

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:07 pm

Hickory/applewood Smoked with a Cranberry-raspberry chutney

:P
Image<see, it's getting better.
Test_Engineer

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:25 pm

Brine & deep fry with a derrick.
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:33 pm

I'm cooking it the easiest and BEST way... going over to the parent's house. Mmmmmmm... turkey.
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Thirsty Mallard wrote:I'm cooking it the easiest and BEST way... going over to the parent's house. Mmmmmmm... turkey.

I like the way you think, I'll be doing the same except at the cousins house. I am however pulling one of my frozen rhubarb pies from the deep freeze and cooking to tak e along. just doing my part. I love this holiday!
They call me Crut
**BREW STRONG**
I brew for schnitz and giggles
Corporal in the BN Army
Brewer for Shorts Brewing in Bellaire MI
Crut

Next

Return to Great Food VigArously