Chocolate Stout Torte with Raspberry Coulis

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:10 am

Sprang this on an unsuspecting audience of my wife's coworkers at her holiday party and was a huge success.

Torte
1# Dark (65% cacao or so) quality chocolate
1# butter
1 cup stout (I used porter actually, but it was very close to a stout. It had a lot of chocolate malt, BU:GU of about .6 & ~5% ABV)
9 large eggs

Ganache
9 oz. Semi Sweet (50% cacao or so) quality chocolate
1 cup heavy cream

Coulis
12 oz. raspberries (can be frozen, just thaw ahead of time)
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbls. water

-Chop dark chocolate into small pieces, add to butter in a medium saucepan & cook over low heat until melted. You want this to take a while, & never get too hot to not be able to touch the liquid with your finger.
-Add stout (I degassed mine by shaking it up in a syran wrapped cup, but maybe not necessary?) Remove from heat after thoroughly mixed.
-Whip eggs together until a good layer of froth forms on top.
-Fold eggs into chocolate mixture
-When mixed, add to a buttered 9" springform pan, bake in a bain-marie @ 350F for 50-60 minutes or until just set & a slight crisp forms to the top of the torte. When done, let cool at room temp for a few hours, then cover & refrigerate overnight.
-Remove the torte from the sides of the pan.

To make the ganache
-Chop semi-sweet chocolate into small pieces.
-Heat cream just to boiling.
-Pour cream over chocolate & stir quickly.
-When mixed, allow to cool for a couple minutes.
-Pour the ganache over the torte to cover completely, return to refrigerator, put in airtight container. Let cool for at least an hour or so.

To make the Coulis
-Boil water & sugar untila a syrup forms.
-Place raspberries in a blender, pour syrup over them & puree.
-You can run it through a sieve if you want to get rid of the seeds, but I don't.
-Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Tips:

-To more easily remove the torte, run a sharp blade along the edges of the pan first, then unclasp it.
-I keep the torte on the bottom of my springform pan & place on a baking rack abover the sink when I pour the ganache over it.
-You want to make sure that tehre is a slight grade to the cake, going down and out towards the edges, so that when you pour the ganache, it will not pool, rather run off it and coat evenly. You can trim the cake with a sharp serrated knif in spots to achieve this. I usually have to cut a little angle into the rim of the cake to achieve this.
-To clean up any crumbs/messy spots, run your finger through warm water & simply smear it across the cake to create a somewhat even texture. Doesn't need to be prefect, since it's getting a ganache.
-To serve, you can precut the slices with dental floss. Get a 12" length and just cut across the diameter of the cake for each cut.
-You could also use coffee in place of the stout if you're a pussy.
This message brought to you by the letters A-L-P-H-A-K-I-N-G and the number 6

“Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.”
-Henry David Thoreau
Surgeon General

Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:58 am

Man, that sounds fantastic... I'm going to have to try it. Thanks!

BTW, what is a "bain-marie"

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:07 pm

Sorry, just a water bath. What I do is fill a roasting pan with hot water up to about 1- 1.5" and let it sit in the oven for about 10 minutes to let the water get up to temp, then put the springform pan into the water so that the water reaches about half way up the pan. You need to worry about the water seeping into the springform though, especially if it's an older pan, so I use a sheet of the 18" wide aluminum foil and wrap the bottom/sides of the pan in it.

“Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.”
-Henry David Thoreau
Surgeon General

Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks! I will have to do this at work for a luncheon I have to serve next week.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:01 pm

This torte works well for luncheons & parties because it's so rich, you can really stretch it out and serve a lot of people out of one cake.

Ever try those raspberry truffles?

-Henry David Thoreau
Surgeon General

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:18 pm

seems like you need sugar in the torte......

gonna try your version the way it is first.

I'll tell ya in a day or two what i think :)

thanks for the recipe!
suck it
boobookittyfuk

Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:58 pm

boobookittyfuk wrote:seems like you need sugar in the torte......

gonna try your version the way it is first.

I'll tell ya in a day or two what i think :)

thanks for the recipe!

well the sugary sweetness from the raspberry coulis balances the bitterness of the torte well, so sugar may not be needed. pretty good desert!

can't tell that there was beer in there....i used a homebrewed robust porter. You'll hear of me and my porter for the AHA club only comp in march...LOL
suck it
boobookittyfuk

Return to Great Food VigArously