Need some rib ideas

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:22 am

We are having a super bowl parrty at my place sunday, my buddy is bringing a turkey over to fry up, so I figured while we're at it, why not throw some ribs on the grill? (yes it is only 1 degree outside right now)
So I'm looking to you guys for some recipes and ideas besides the ol BBQ sauce, grill, baste, yada yada yada.
Lets here it
-Crut
They call me Crut
**BREW STRONG**
I brew for schnitz and giggles
Corporal in the BN Army
Brewer for Shorts Brewing in Bellaire MI
Crut

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:28 am

What my chili's not good enough for ya? :lol:

J/K - I'll go through some of my recipes when I get home tonight and post some ideas.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:17 am

Here's what I do for ribs, and it usually gets really good reviews:

Mustard Slather:

.25c bacon grease
2 c honey dijon mustard
.5 c brown sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard
.25 c honey
cayenne

Heat all ingredients and mix until blended.

Peel the membrane off the back of the ribs, and thinly coat ribs with the mustard slather.

Then cover the ribs with this rub:

1 c brown sugar
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon onion salt
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1 tablespoon black pepper

Smoke with whatever wood you like until the ribs are done.
I think I've had about enough beer tonight...Now I need some Whiskey to sober up
oneal66

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:26 am

oneal, have you ever done those on the grill. My smoker blew up last summer so i dont have that option right now. I guess I could do the ol lay some tinfoil down and chips on that if I had to.
-Crut
They call me Crut
**BREW STRONG**
I brew for schnitz and giggles
Corporal in the BN Army
Brewer for Shorts Brewing in Bellaire MI
Crut

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:49 am

No I've never grilled them, but you could probably put the coals to one side of the grill with wood chips and the meat on the other side. You could cook them for a few hours in the oven @ 220. Afterwards you could finish on the grill with a few coals and wood chips just to get the smoke flavor into the ribs. The main thing is you want to cook them at a lower temp.
I think I've had about enough beer tonight...Now I need some Whiskey to sober up
oneal66

Texas Crutch

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:26 am

I don't have a smoker, and have learned to make really good ribs on the grill using a technique I believe to be known as the texas crutch.

I wrap the ribs in an air tight aluminum foil "tent" that is folded over on the sides and top. One rack per sheet of aluminum. I put several ice cubes (3 or 4) on top of the ribs before the tent gets sealed up, so the meat ends up steaming while it cooks.

Then the rib packets go on the grill at medium, direct heat for 45 minutes to an hour with any dry seasoning you might desire. Then, they get unwrapped, and grilled (also direct, medium heat) for an extra 10 to 15 minutes, basting with sauce if that's what you desire (I especially enjoy a mix of about 1/3 cup of peach preserves with a cup of bbq).

The ribs come out moist, but still really tender.

Hope this helps. Have a great time this weekend.
Evan
SternBrew

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:41 pm

I prefer St. Louis cut ribs. Better bone to meat ratio. Damn sounds like a lunch meat theme...

Basic sauce is the Jack Daniels #7 premade stuff watered down by 1/2 with the beer of your choice.

Salt, pepper and garlic both sides of the ribs that have warmed to room temp and place them on indirect heat. Not sure what grill you have but with my weber I have a cast iron box I got from home depot that I set right on the flavorizer bars with the soaked wood of choice. They are in the grill area IIRC.

Let the ribs cook at about 250 for an hour or so flipping at 30 minutes. then after the hour start slathering on the sauce.

Slow and low and you will have tasty ribs.

Hope that helps...
yabodie

Re: Need some rib ideas

Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:01 pm

cguntzviller wrote:We are having a super bowl parrty at my place sunday, my buddy is bringing a turkey over to fry up, so I figured while we're at it, why not throw some ribs on the grill? (yes it is only 1 degree outside right now)
So I'm looking to you guys for some recipes and ideas besides the ol BBQ sauce, grill, baste, yada yada yada.
Lets here it
-Crut

I don't grill my ribs. I use Alton Brown's Recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_11125,00.html. They're always a show stopper.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Great Food VigArously