Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:41 am

weetodd wrote:check out www.virtualweberbullet.com. It is a great site for smoking. It is centered around a different brand of smoker but it's applicable.

I usually smoke pork butt over hickory at around 225. Get it started around 10 pm and have it pulled in the mid-afternoon the next day. Dress with an Eastern NC vinegar sauce.

I'm a Texan, but even I like NC vinegar based sauce. You guys are making me hungry.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:31 pm

Weetodd: so you just start it and let it go overnight, unattended? you don't have to get up a couple of times to add woodchips? do you use gas or charcoal?
billysensible

Re:

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:55 pm

BadRockBeer wrote:Hey Brotha, the best advice I could give would be to pick up THIS book! It has many great recipes and lots of tricks, plus you can find it at almost any good sized book store.

Secondly, don't over think it. Rub down your meat with some complementary spices and toss'r in. The real secrets to good smoked meat is patience. Set that sucker at 180F and get your self a beer. I usually start my smoker about 4-5am and its usually not done until about 6-7pm. Just check on it every half hour or so and you will have a mighty delectable meal.

I have that book you suggest and found these two books are also helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Backyard-BBQ-Smok ... y_b_text_b

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Craft-S ... pd_sim_b_4
bcmaui

Re:

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:57 pm

billysensible wrote:Weetodd: so you just start it and let it go overnight, unattended? you don't have to get up a couple of times to add woodchips? do you use gas or charcoal?

You can do overnight with gas or electric, but need to feed charcoal every 45 minutes or so if you have that type of setup.
bcmaui

Re: Re:

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:23 am

bcmaui wrote:
billysensible wrote:Weetodd: so you just start it and let it go overnight, unattended? you don't have to get up a couple of times to add woodchips? do you use gas or charcoal?

You can do overnight with gas or electric, but need to feed charcoal every 45 minutes or so if you have that type of setup.

Those people with the Big Green Egg say you can let it sit overnight with charcoal and never have to touch it. A little out of my price range though.
dresselbrew

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:59 pm

bcmaui wrote:You can do overnight with gas or electric, but need to feed charcoal every 45 minutes or so if you have that type of setup.

Really? I just did a 12 hour smoked pork shoulder on my charcoal smoker and only had to add charcoal once about 9 hours in. Pretty sure I could go overnight without much of a problem.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:17 am

Lars wrote:
bcmaui wrote:You can do overnight with gas or electric, but need to feed charcoal every 45 minutes or so if you have that type of setup.

Really? I just did a 12 hour smoked pork shoulder on my charcoal smoker and only had to add charcoal once about 9 hours in. Pretty sure I could go overnight without much of a problem.

I've got one of those smokers with the small fire chamber on the side. I have not tried to load up the fire chamber to capacity, rather just dump a couple scoops the size of the chimney starter in at a time. I think the smokers with the chamber underneath can go a bit longer. What type of smoker are you using? It would be handy to smoke overnight the larger pieces. I am refreshing every hour with a couple of scoops.

It's looks like this one, but from a different company.
bcmaui

Re: smoker recipes?

Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:51 am

you can go 18 hours without adding charcoal using the minion method http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion. this involves loading up the somker with unlit charcoal and then placing a handful of lit charcoal on top. as it burns the lit coals slowly start lighting the other coals. this method works very well in my experience.

you will need to add water every 3-4 hours.
-Tyson
whiteManCanHop

PreviousNext

Return to Great Food VigArously