Now I'm interested in cider

Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:12 am

After trying a sample of some great cider at the Michigan State Fair Homebrew Competition I'm interested in giving this a try. I plan on listening to the cider show in the archives, but I was wondering if anyone had any resources in print or on the web they recommend?

Thanks,
iloman
iloman

Re: Now I'm interested in cider

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:30 am

I have the first book and the first addition of the second book that is listed on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url ... hard+cider
Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!
hotrod38

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks. I plan on picking up the Ben Watson book when the second edition comes out next month. I also found an interview with him out on the web that I'm listening to now.
iloman

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:32 pm

Sorry, this is a double post (also in the MSF thread). I wish I would have read this before this weekend because you would have really liked the event at Uncle John's.

Hey guys,

Just got back from Uncle John's Cider Mill and had a nice day there. Jeff Carlson (2008 NHC Cidermaker of the year) was there along with some other MI beer and cider experts. Mike Beck, the cider maker at Uncle John's, is a nice guy and said he was happy to hook homebrewers up with bulk juice (bring buckets or carboys or corny kegs) for somewhere in the $2.50-$3.00/gal range. His best blend will be available in late Oct/early Nov. He recommends using sulfites before pitching white wine yeast. His ciders are excellent, so I plan to use his blend and follow his fermentation advice.

They had about 20 commercial ciders for tasting and sale. In addition to Uncle John's I really enjoyed and bought the following:
Eve's Cidery - Bittersweet
Dancing Buffalo - a dry and a semi-dry , both aged in wood
BellWeather - Liberty Spy

The Great Lakes Cider and Perry Association with be organizing the GLOWS (Great Lakes Old World Syder) competition in Dec of this year. Get your ciders ready for that competition.I believe it will be a BJCP sanctioned event.

jacbop
Midland, MI
jacbop
(aka Tom Wilberding, The Uniballer)
Chicago, IL
ImageSergeant, BN Army
jacbop

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:42 pm

And here is the recipe for my specialty cider:

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=6997

You could drop the brown sugar, raisins, rum and spices up to make a common cider. You could also use white wine yeast rather than WLP-001.

1 lbs. Light Brown Sugar
5 gallons unpasteurized apple cider with no preservatives
.25 teaspoons potassium metabisulphite
8 ounces raisins
Yeast : White Labs WLP001 California Ale info

Hard Cider using Bayne's fresh cider from Freeland, MI on 18 Sept 2007.

Put 8 oz of Jamaican overproof (126) rum together with 3 cinnamon sticks and 6 cloves in a beer bottle for 3 weeks. Strain and add when bottling.

Added 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite to 5 gallons of cider and left for 24 hours.

Pitched solid 3 quart starter. Aerate must well. Ferment at 65-70F

Add raisins and brown sugar after primary is going strong. Mix both in 1 quart of water, slowly bring the temperature up to 160F and hold for fifteen minutes, then add this mixture directly to your must.

After 3 weeks, rack to a secondary and let it ferment for another 2-4 months.

Optional: pectin enzyme 1/4 tsp
1 tsp yeast nutrients

Prime with 3/4 cup of corn sugar and some new yeast.
jacbop
Chicago, IL
ImageSergeant, BN Army
jacbop

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:28 pm

iloman, Sorry I missed you there. Keep your eyes posted for GLOWS in Dec.

I had the whole family with me (wife, 13 year old daughter, 11 year old son and 2 year old son) so our visit was brief, but I got a chance to chat with Rex, Jeff and Mike between train rides and cider donuts.

Good luck with the yeast experiments. I've got eight 1 gallon jugs (like $12 for a box of four from LHBS). I would recommend 35 ppm of Potassium Metabisulphite for 24 hours before pitching yeast. I would recommend that one of the yeasts you use is Red Star Cote de Blancs. I've not used it, but Mike Beck suggests it and I've heard "white wine yeast" as the consensus opinion. I've always used WLP-001, but I trust these other guys more than me.

Trying different yeasts in a series of 1/2 gallon batches is a smart idea. One word of warning though: it is likely to through off a ton of sulfur and remain turbid and pretty nasty for several months. So rack after a month of primary and then let it age for about 4 months before passing judgement. You can make cider faster than this, but like mead, patience will be rewarded.

Cheers,
jacbop
Midland, MI
jacbop
Chicago, IL
ImageSergeant, BN Army
jacbop

Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:46 pm

I am going to be downstate next weekend and I think I am going to either try and pick up some juice form Uncle John's or Spicer's where I am going to be staying nearby. I've been wanting to try my hand at a cider for a while how. I really would like to try some of the Uncle Johns offerings.

:pop
http://www.cognitionbrewingcompany.com
Twitter: CognitionB
Tumblr: cognitionbeer
Instagram: cognitionbeer
Snapchat: Cognition Brewing Company
Brichards700

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:10 pm

Good luck with the cider brichards! Have fun with it. The apples will generally be a bit better about 4-6 weeks from now, but you certainly can make good cider in mid Sep (I'm gonna). I'd recommend giving Mike Beck a call ahead of time and bring some buckets or carboys and you'll pay a lot less than buying by the gallon. You could even dose with Metabisulphite right there at the cider mill and you'd be ready to pitch once you got home.
jacbop
Chicago, IL
ImageSergeant, BN Army
jacbop

Return to Mead & Cider