Re: My first cider recipe and procedure

Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:47 pm

So I took a sample last night before I added the spices, and it was at 1.004. Very very dry. It still tastes very young, with some off flavors like a little green apple, and some yeastiness. I know I made a beer with windsor before and it didn't flocculate out too well, so this is too be expected. I think this one is going to take a lot of patience to get good. I think I am going to give it another few weeks, then bottle and carbonate and make a dry sparking cider.
Live and Learn. Then get drunk and forget it all.
On Tap: Naughty Monk 12 - BDS, Redemption Brown, Silver City's Big Daddy's ESB
ColdBraue

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:03 pm

Hey Cold,

From your description, it sounds like you are right on track. Make sure you do not taste sulfur at bottling and expect the carbonation to take a long time to develop. I would suggest bottling in another month and then stash the bottles in the low 60's until next spring before sampling and I think you will have a great cider!

jacbop,
Chicago, IL
jacbop
(aka Tom Wilberding, The Uniballer)
Chicago, IL
ImageSergeant, BN Army
jacbop

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:14 am

Sweeeeeeet. I didn't detect any sulphur at all and it wasn't too bad already, so I think that it will be quite good. I will bottle in a month or a little more, depending on my lazyness and when I need the carboy for the mead's secondary.
Thanks J!
Live and Learn. Then get drunk and forget it all.
On Tap: Naughty Monk 12 - BDS, Redemption Brown, Silver City's Big Daddy's ESB
ColdBraue

Previous

Return to Mead & Cider