Fract. Distilling question

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

Several posts in cider (heh heh) talk about fractional distilling; freezing cider and pulling off the ice to concentrate the alcohol. My question is, will the freezing kill all yeast? If you killed all yeast and concentrated to a high enough alcohol to prevent bacteria from getting a start, couldn't you back sweeten without adding sulfites or anything?
Private First Class, BN Army

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Re: Fract. Distilling question

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:58 am

don't make me call the revenuers

:)
What's Brewing
Primary:
In the Aging Tank: Special Bitter
Bottled:
Kegged:
meisterofpuppets

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

meisterofpuppets wrote:don't make me call the revenuers

:)

I know! I only want to know in theory. I would never cross that unholy line and actually place cider in the freezer with the evil intent of concentrating the alcohol. If I knew exactly how it worked, I could recognize it if I happened to stumble onto an illegal freeze-concentrating cider ring. Then I could do my civic duty and turn in the wrongdoers to the good authorities. I think it's disgusting that people would try to defraud the government out of their well deserved tax revenue.

(can they hear us?) ........... (are they gone now?)

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Yes my opinion is that yes it will kill the yeast. Good cider makes good hooch, average cider makes crappy hooch.

Brad
"I could have mixed it with chocolate and vagina and it still wouldn't have helped." -- Justin Crossley

"It helps the yeast focus" -- JP (refering to the riddling process)
wezil

Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:27 am

Thanks. Good to know. I think I will leave my current batch of cider alone. Unless of course we get a sudden week of sub-zero temps here in Phoenix. If it accidentally freezes and a flock of migrating birds inadvertantly knock the ice off the top, that can't constitute a criminal act, right?

always pulling decoction

Grist Licker

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:30 am

Grist Licker wrote:If it accidentally freezes and a flock of migrating birds inadvertantly knock the ice off the top, that can't constitute a criminal act, right?

It's only criminal if any of them drop a deuce in it during the flyover. F-ing birds.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:33 am

Isn't the issue with distillation. I think you could freeze as much as you want and wouldn't cross the legal border.

IANAL...
Henway

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Nope still illegal when you freeze it. But only if you get caught.

Brad
"I could have mixed it with chocolate and vagina and it still wouldn't have helped." -- Justin Crossley

"It helps the yeast focus" -- JP (refering to the riddling process)
wezil

Next

Return to Mead & Cider