Cider questions?

Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:39 pm

Alright guys, I have a cider that has been in primary for 3 weeks now. It is 5 gals. of juice (no preservatives), 2 lb raisins, & 2lb brown sugar. Starting gravity 1.07. I pulled it out last night and took a sample, 1.00 and it tasted awesome. My problem is I had it in my mind to put something like blueberry or something like that in the secondary. I went to LHBS and the blueberry stuff that they sell says that it will make 5 gal. of wine.
What do you guys recommend? Do I ad anything or just rack it and leave it like it is?
Normal is getting dressed and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get the job you need to pay for the cloths and the car and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
budrockdiesel

Re: Cider questions?

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Seriously? Blueberry in a cider?

If you have to add something else to it, maybe consider some spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove...

If it has to be fruit, then I guess I'd recommend cherries.
To be a man you must have honor... honor and a penis.
Madtown Brew

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:04 pm

Madtown Brew wrote:If it has to be fruit, then I guess I'd recommend cherries.

I have done raspberries for fruit that went well in the cider.
-I live in my own little world. But that's okay because they know me there.
-Even if alcohol does kill off brain cells, we all know alcohol goes for the slower, weaker ones first -- making your brain more sleek and efficient.
numsquat

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:50 am

just buy a few bags of frozen berries from the grocery store and toss them in the secondary and rack on top of it. Most people will freak out that you should steep the fruit for 15 minutes at 160F, but seriously, you are putting a 10% ABV liquid on top of them.

I used Black raspberries from Trader Joes for my cyser this year. Had the cyser on fruit for 2 weeks, next time I think 1.5 weeks would be better. At 2 weeks, you start to pick up tannins from the fruit skins.
Image<see, it's getting better.
Test_Engineer

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:12 pm

Test_Engineer wrote:just buy a few bags of frozen berries from the grocery store and toss them in the secondary and rack on top of it. Most people will freak out that you should steep the fruit for 15 minutes at 160F, but seriously, you are putting a 10% ABV liquid on top of them.

I used Black raspberries from Trader Joes for my cyser this year. Had the cyser on fruit for 2 weeks, next time I think 1.5 weeks would be better. At 2 weeks, you start to pick up tannins from the fruit skins.

I second this opinion...store bought frozen fruit is a far better option than extract alone, is already sanitized, and the freezing has broken the cells open which helps maximize the release of the flavors you are after. The only thing I would add regarding frozen fruit is the option of throwing the thawed fruit in a blender to make a puree in order to help extract as much flavor as possible. The canned Oregon Fruit purees are a great option as well for about $15 per 3 pound can.

It seems that a pound of fruit per gallon of beer/mead/cider is an often recommended starting point but some milder fruits like blueberries (sounds good to me!) and blackberries need significantly higher quantities to contribute much flavor. Just depends on how much fruit character you prefer. One pound per gallon contributes pretty minimal fruit character so I usually use 2 or 3 pounds and often more per gallon of any fruit. In fifteen years of brewing everyone I have personally spoken to, from weekend brewers like myself to multiple medal winners, has said if there was one thing they would have done differently in their fruit beer/mead/cider it would have been to add more fruit...I have never heard anyone say they would have added less. Of course, more fruit = more cost but I feel the results are absolutely worth the added expense and doubling the amount really only adds a few cents per bottle. After all, I'm not trying to make the absolute cheapest beer/mead/cider I can but the best one I can. But I definitely understand the need to balance the fruit with the pocketbook.

Also, if you are patient enough, you can leave the cider on the fruit for months if you like until all the color (and flavor) has leached out of the fruit. Whether you bottle after a couple of weeks or after several months, if you find you want to boost the fruit aroma when bottling time comes around that would be a decent time to use an extract.

Wow, that ended up being a longer answer than I intended. Anywhoo, hope it helped a little! :D
Andy

Return to Mead & Cider