WL Sweet Mead Yeast

Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:04 am

Well....I am going to try to make a mead...
I have a vial of WL Sweet mead and was wondering what I should do for a starter.

When I brew I use DME and usually do 2 or 3 steps. I have found a few articles saying to use 8 oz of honey, some say corn sugar.
If it was a braggot I would just carry on as normal...

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am going to be using 13lb honey and 32 oz White Muscat Concentrate in a 5 gal batch
so I definately do not want to just pitch the tube (and no, I cant get more, I am in N. Maine we have not seen above freezing for weeks)
The BN Army.......you can't have a revolution without soldiers!!!

Always try to be the person that your dog thinks you are!

CaribouBill -- BNArmy Ranger, Great White North Division
CaribouBill

Re: WL Sweet Mead Yeast

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Make up the starter normal, same as you would for a beer. Using malt instead of sugar or honey will provide the yeast with more nutrients to carry out the fermentation. Additionally, make sure you add some yeast nutrient in both the starter and the must (servomyces or the Wyeast nutrient blend).
To be a man you must have honor... honor and a penis.
Madtown Brew

Re: WL Sweet Mead Yeast

Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:59 pm

I would make sure to allow the starter to grow, then chill and decant the wort, then pitch the slurry to avoid throwing the fermented malt in your mead. Could throw too much breadyness into the mead.
Cheers!
Live and Learn. Then get drunk and forget it all.
On Tap: Naughty Monk 12 - BDS, Redemption Brown, Silver City's Big Daddy's ESB
ColdBraue

Return to Mead & Cider