cloudy mess in mead

Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:10 pm

ive got some mead (or very strong cyser with both apples and a bit of cherries during secondary) that has been bottled for some time. i was trying to carbonate it and it has a little but not much. what it does have is some lumpy, cloudy shit at the bottom. its almost a gel like consistency that will settle into the bottom third or fourth of the bottle. i can pour carefully and leave it in the bottle but its presence annoys me. anyone have a clue what it is? it sat in carboys for a year or more and has been in the bottles for at least 9 months. maybe a year.
Strutnakid

Re: cloudy mess in mead

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:09 pm

How exactly did you make it? If you are bottle conditioning it in order to carbonate it I would assume that it is yeast. Did you use any sort of clarifying agents?
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:47 pm

This would be funnier if the thread title was "a cloudy mess in cider"

sorry, I'm of no help :asshat:

did you use apples or apple juice? maybe pulp?
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:17 am

Please post your process so we can help figure it out...
yabodie

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:28 pm

maybe pectins from the fruit... can't they make things go a bit "jelly"?

process details would help.... well it would help those who know what they are talking about.. unfortunately not me though.

TB
Thirsty Boy

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi Guys,
sorry its been so long. i forgot i posted here (was drunk no doubt) and forgot to check back.
basically it was a mead about 1.114 strength og. with a couple gallons of apple cider and a lot of cherries. it aged well over a year and was very clear. i racked several times too. i may have used super kleer or something but im not positive. i didnt boil the honey or juice but did warm it up to help dissolve the honey and i used wy dry mead yeast. i was bottle conditi1on1ing to ca/*rbo*nate. it was never very carbonated but did have a bit of that cloudy gel like crap. if memory serves i used fresh yeast (same as fermented with) to bottle with.

Thanks!

John
Strutnakid

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:17 am

How long did you bottle condition? If you let it sit longer it might settle out and carb up some more.
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:59 pm

this has been in the bottle for over a year. its almost gone btw i would just like to avoid this problem in future. the gel/cloudy stuff sinks to the bottom when its chilled. im thinking maybe i should add pectic enzyme? do you add it dry or mix it in some h2o?
Strutnakid

Next

Return to Mead & Cider