Clearing Cider

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Hey all.
I've got a cider fermenting right now. Currently its very cloudy. Wondering if this will clear on its own, and if not, whats the best way to clear it? Filter? Will gelatin work on cider?
I'm using fresh pressed, uv pasteurized cider from an orchard, so it was cloudy to start with.
Thanks
"Good men drink good beer."
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://www.lacunha.com

Kegged: Kolsh, IPA
Primary: Hard Cider
Secondary: x

Proud Corporal in the BN Army
TunaCan

Re: Clearing Cider

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:27 pm

A little Pectic Enzyme will clear it right out. My cider always turns out sparling clear after using pectic enzyme.
pdbutts

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:37 pm

I've had great success using gelatin.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:58 am

I've never made cider, but I've always heard that you should add pectic enzyme first, because alcohol inibits its function. I've heard good results with gelatin, spareloid, and biofine with cider.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Time will clear the cider up. ferment it for about a week and a half then rack it to a secondary vessel and wait 6 months. No need to add any clarifiers. It takes about 6 months or longer for the cider to mature.
Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!
hotrod38

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:06 pm

hotrod38 wrote:Time will clear the cider up. ferment it for about a week and a half then rack it to a secondary vessel and wait 6 months. No need to add any clarifiers. It takes about 6 months or longer for the cider to mature.

+1
You beat me to it. Mine is sitting in the keg in the kegerator. We sampled it the other night. Damn tasty! Petty clear, too. I used wyeast sweet mead yeast per bugeater's advice, and it is coming along nicely. Its about 2.5 months old and it has been cold conditioning for about 5 weeks.
snowcapt

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Why wait when you can clear it up instantly with gelatin! Just sayin'. It truly is an instantaneous effect.

I know, I know.... the cider needs to mellow out and get rid of some of the "green" flavors and sulfite flavor (if sulfites were used), so aging can be beneficial.

But I say... if it tastes good, then drink it! Regardless of the "aging rules of thumb" or a little haze. Far as I know, a little haze doesn't affect the flavor, which to me is what matters.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:37 am

I'm about two weeks into my ferment. Too late to add enzyme? I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, but I was intending on a four week fermentation. co2 activity is low, not much bubbling in the airlock.
If using the time method, should I wait for it to ferment all the way out before conditioning? Also, I intent to back sweeten with juice. Will the six months of conditioning mentioned above continue to ferment out my back sweeten juice while in the kegarator? Will be stored at about 37º
"Good men drink good beer."
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://www.lacunha.com

Kegged: Kolsh, IPA
Primary: Hard Cider
Secondary: x

Proud Corporal in the BN Army
TunaCan

Next

Return to Mead & Cider