Cider Yeast

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:44 pm

I recently finished my first batch of cider and i thought it came out great. I am planing on making an apple wine for my second batch. I plan to go through the same process exept I'm adding some pectic enzyme to clear it up and cane sugar to try and bring my OG up to about 1.080. I also want to use a different yeast this time around. I used Red Star Cote Des Blancs on my last batch.

For you experienced cider makers out there, what type of yeast do you like and recommend?
MaltySmoOTH

Re: Cider Yeast

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:23 pm

I have had success using the White Labs sweet mead yeast.
MNHazmat

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:57 pm

I like the White Labs cider yeast. I will be experimenting with some dry yeasts in future batches since I don't have a LHBS very close anymore, otherwise I would keep using the White Labs one.
siwelwerd

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:18 pm

I've had great results with Sweet Mead yeast myself. For my latest batch, though, I used a combination of natural wild yeast from the apples themselves and a French Saison yeast. The combination of wild funk with the spicy saison yeast and the sour cherry juice concentrate turned this into what tastes like an incredible kriek. I did bump the gravity up to 1.088 and it finished down at 0.998.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 am

I like to use Prisse De Mousse for the tiny bubbles. Ive also used Rockpile with success
HoppyHandedBrewer

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 pm

I definitely want to try the sweet mead yeast in the future, thanks to all who posted.
Bugeater wrote:I've had great results with Sweet Mead yeast myself. For my latest batch, though, I used a combination of natural wild yeast from the apples themselves and a French Saison yeast. The combination of wild funk with the spicy saison yeast and the sour cherry juice concentrate turned this into what tastes like an incredible kriek. I did bump the gravity up to 1.088 and it finished down at 0.998.
This is interesting, you described some great characteristics, what would you say is the overall flavor impression of your wine? What dominates the palate? The place where I ferment has increased in temperature in the last couple of weeks, so using a saison yeast is interesting. I also like the slight sourness to ciders, so I think I might like the contribution of cherry to a cider. Please elaborate more, I appreciate your post.
MaltySmoOTH

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 am

The very first batch of cider I did I used Lavin D-47. I didn't back sweeten and just bottle conditioned using priming sugar. To me it just tasted watery.

Next I used I used Red Star Cote des Blancs and it dried it out very nicely. I raised the SG with 2 cups of sugar and let it ferment. I didn't back sweeten and just bottle conditioned it using priming sugar. It had more alcohol due to raising the SG but still didn't taste very appley.

This last batch I used Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead. I raised the SG with 2 cans of concentrate. I also used concentrate to back sweeten. This is the first batch that I have made that I've been pleased with.

The one thing I can say between all 3 of these is that the Wyeast seemed to ferment better. No lag time at all and just seemed to be a healthier ferment.

So at this point I'm going to turn around and use the last recipe with a Red Star Cote des Blancs and also do a batch with Lavin D-47 but I would does those 2 with a starter. I may just use a White Labs for the next one but I'm slowly dialing it in.

[EDIT]Poor Grammar
screwgie

Return to Mead & Cider