Secondary with Fruit Question

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:00 pm

So, I have two batches of cider sitting in secondary over fruit since Nov. 21st, does anyone have any opinions about this? Is it bad to have them sitting in secondary over fruit this long? Iv'e just been too lazy to transfer, both are under airlock and have beer stored around 68 degrees. It's the first time I rack cider in secondary over fruit and it's kind of weirding me out.
MaltySmoOTH

Re: Secondary with Fruit Question

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 pm

I racked my Saison out of secondary after it had finished fermenting the sugars added by the 5lbs of peaches I had racked the beer onto. I would think you are loosing some of those fruit flavors that you were trying to add to your cider, and maybe risking a possible infection from something that survived on the fruit skin if they were fresh...
:jnj -Pork
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:17 am

How big was the cider? If the ABV was high, I would expect it to kill anything that survived on the fruit.

I've never racked on fresh fruit before but a month seems like a long time. I would expect the fruit to start breaking down. How does it taste?
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:21 pm

You will be just fine but you should consider packaging it soon. Adding some fresh juice or even fruit extract can help liven up the fruit aroma and flavor.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks fella's, my ABV was around 8.07% when I racked it over the fruit. I hadn't thought about it losing the fruit character over time. I still haven't bottled, been busy during the holidays, will likely bottle this week. Thanks.
MaltySmoOTH

Return to Mead & Cider