I need some advice

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks ahead of time fella's. I'm entering a common cider that was fermented with Wyeast Belgian Saison 3724 into my first competition in a few day's. Should I specify that it was fermented with a saison yeast, or is it not necessary to provide this information to the judges?
MaltySmoOTH

Re: I need some advice

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

MaltySmoOTH wrote:Thanks ahead of time fella's. I'm entering a common cider that was fermented with Wyeast Belgian Saison 3724 into my first competition in a few day's. Should I specify that it was fermented with a saison yeast, or is it not necessary to provide this information to the judges?

Yes, absolutely. You want to enter it into Category
28D Other Specialty Cider/Perry

BJCPGuidelines wrote:28D. Other Specialty Cider/Perry

This is an open-ended category for cider or perry with other adjuncts such that it does not fit any of the categories above. This includes the use of spices and/or other sweeteners. A cider with added honey may be entered here if the cider character remains dominant. Otherwise it should be entered as mead in the cyser sub-category.

Aroma/Flavor: The cider character must always be present, and must fit with adjuncts.

Appearance: Clear to brilliant. Color should be that of a common cider unless adjuncts are expected to contribute color.

Mouthfeel: Average body, may show tannic (astringent) or heavy body as determined by adjuncts.

Comments: Entrants MUST specify all major ingredients and adjuncts. Entrants MUST specify carbonation level (still, petillant, or sparkling). Entrants MUST specify sweetness (dry or medium).

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.100
FG: 0.995 – 1.020 ABV: 5 – 12%

Commercial Examples: [US] Red Barn Cider Fire Barrel (WA), AEppelTreow Pear Wine and Sparrow Spiced Cider (WI)

HTH & Good Luck!
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:21 pm

thanks for the post BDawg. I'm still not clear about it though, as the bjcp description never specifies yeast character. Is this to say a saison yeast would be out of character for a common cider, and would be considered an adjunct?
MaltySmoOTH

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:33 pm

It would be out of character. The guidelines for common cider specify malo-lactic fermentation as acceptable, but that is quite distinct and different from using a [edit] saison [/edit] yeast (I am a big fan of in a cider -- Dave Hutchinson, head brewer at Rogue's Issaquah Brewhouse, made one with Witbier yeast to serve at the Washington Brewer's Festival a few weeks ago. It was fantastic. I think a saison yeast will do just as well.)

Special ingredients and techniques belong in Specialty.
Trust me. I've judged one or two competitions before. ;-)
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks B'Dawg! :jnj
MaltySmoOTH

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:50 pm

MaltySmoOTH wrote:Thanks B'Dawg! :jnj

Glad to help. Good Luck!