Interesting - Yes!
39%
Dumbass - No!
15%
No Pants
46%

Total votes : 41

Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:18 pm

Well, I have never smelled Oz, but I have smelled 150 sweaty sailors after being trapped together on a submarine for almost a month straight and .......yeah, cider smells that bad.

I started two batches of cider this fall and I had forgotten how much it smelled from last year's batch. Took me by surprise. All that sulpher crap has finally blown off (about two months) and it's starting to smell like good again.

Chrispy
What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?--Irv Kupcinet
chrispy

Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:02 pm

I'm going to move this to the new Mead and Cider area...
Gucci Pilot

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:10 pm

I made a few batches of cider about a month ago. I tried using fruit wine yeast (Lavlin K1116) and I tried to use camden tabs pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient as well. I think that the batch went bad, I have a wicked suphur smell after a month. I am going to leave it to see if it improves, but at this point, I am not sure what is going on.

The other is a mini-batch (5L), that is made from natural yeast from the orchard. That seems to have a bit of a hard-core lambic, almost, smell to it. Unique, but good nonetheless.

The third and best batch that I have made so far this year, was pasteurised, and I used forbidden fruit yeast (wyeast 3463) - it is FANtasTIC!. I haven't bottled it yet, but I probably this weekend.

Anyone know where the sulphur came from?
soilpharm

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:53 pm

apples tend to be very sulphury anyway, i think some yeasts bring it out more than others... mine still smells like something died in oz's ass.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:43 pm

Soilpharm - K1-V 1116 is a beast!!! It ferments to about 18% and in a cider, that has enough fermentables to yield 4 -7 % ABV, your cider will be dryer than a bone in Mojave. When did you use the Campden tablets? Did you leave the must uncovered for 24 hrs. before pitching?

Bub - the hefe yeast sounds good...in spite of the Oz - like smell!

Cheers,
Brewbear
BEER, not just for breakfast any more!
Brewbear

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:28 pm

Hey there Brewbear,
The 1116 is definately a beast. I have experimented with several different ones, and I find that it does a good job, especially when I add the pectinase and yeast nutrient. We have an excellent starting product here O.G was 1.065, if you can believe it (Blend of Northern Spy, Macs, and Gravs). An excellent harvest this year!

As far as the camden goes, I did wait 24 hours, but I didn't leave it uncovered. The top was loose on the bucket, though. Do you think that may have caused the sulphur smell?

I always seem to have good luck with pasteurisation, I think I will stick with that in the future. Even my batch with "wild" yeast didnt' get the sulphury smell. Any further input is appreciated.
Thanks,
SP
soilpharm

Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:46 pm

I'm going to try the cider thing too. A friend of mine gave me some that just blew me away. All he used was Motts, Wyeast 1056 and and airlock. After 2 weeks he added frozen apple/ passion fruit concentrate and aged it for about a month. Good stuff. Can't wait to try it.
Hefe yeast would make a good experiment BUB. Go for it. If you don't like it, I have friends that would drink urine if it had alcohol and was cold. Send it here.
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:21 pm

OK so I just opened 1 bottle of each ( 1 hef and 1 regular cider)
The regular tastes like cider... the hef... tastes different... no noticable hef flavors in there but "something", it is good and I like it, it would be worth a try for some of yall douchebags out there.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Mead & Cider