Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:58 am

Should be the same as a beer. CO2 will be produced from available fermentables, so assuming the Cider is fully fermented all the CO2 will come from the corn sugar. As for how much, depends on how much carbonation you want...
Speyedr

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:28 am

I suppose I will try to dial in around 2.8-3.0 and make a more fizzy drink.

Here is a question... if I want to bottle the cider, but I need to blend in some fresh juice to sweeten it up (no doubt it is going to be apple wine right now), how would I go about doing that without risking overcarbonation? Or should I just keg what I have, force carb, and counterpressure fill?
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:22 am

UPDATE: I bottled today. 2 gallons of organic apple juice with champagne yeast fermented down to 0.099. I added 1 1/2 cans of apple juice concentrate (regular store bought) to sweeten it up.

I figured that would suffice for priming sugar, so I bottled that and I am going to let it sit for a few days since I want some good fizzy carbonation. I will be opening one on Monday to check on the carbonation because I am afraid of bottle bombs with that much sugar added back. Does 2 days sound like a good time to check or should I give a few more or less?

As for the cider, after sweetening it was pretty tasty. Nothing special. I have bought 4 gallons of apple juice and I will be making another batch of cider tomorrow. For this batch I am going to use cranberry apple concentrate to try and make a cranberry apple cider.

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

Thirsty Mallard

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:59 am

Sorry to be so late buy let it ferment all the way. Add priming sugar like you would carbonate something fizzy (I aimed for a hefe style of carbonation). Then when I was ready to drink I'd blend it with apple juice in my glass to get the right sweetness, not all my friends like it super dry.
Too much of a good thing....is a very good thing!

JP: Shat's version of planned parenthood is ordering 2 beers in advance.

PFC BN Army.
Chris_J

Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:44 am

Thirsty Mallard wrote:UPDATE: I bottled today. 2 gallons of organic apple juice with champagne yeast fermented down to 0.099. I added 1 1/2 cans of apple juice concentrate (regular store bought) to sweeten it up.

I figured that would suffice for priming sugar, so I bottled that and I am going to let it sit for a few days since I want some good fizzy carbonation. I will be opening one on Monday to check on the carbonation because I am afraid of bottle bombs with that much sugar added back. Does 2 days sound like a good time to check or should I give a few more or less?

As for the cider, after sweetening it was pretty tasty. Nothing special. I have bought 4 gallons of apple juice and I will be making another batch of cider tomorrow. For this batch I am going to use cranberry apple concentrate to try and make a cranberry apple cider.

How did the concentrate work as a primer? I am working on my first cider as well and am curious about this. I am going to bottle mine in champagne bottles which are much mroe durable, so I am not so afraid of little bombs .
leary

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:51 pm

Worked perfectly! I kept a close eye on it and tested the carbonation to make sure I wasn't going to have bottle bombs. I think it took about normal time (10 days) to carbonate.

Thirsty Mallard

Thu May 17, 2007 5:20 pm

Mallard:
I just cracked open a cider to see how its progressing. I tried your trick of priming with the concentrate and so far the results are pleasing! The carbonation is light (which I am happy about). Also, I fermented mine with wine yeast and its dry as all get out. The aftertaste actually reminds me of Maudite. (Kinda fruity and dry). I can't wait to taste it in another week or so!
leary

Previous

Return to Mead & Cider