Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:45 pm

I just read an article about something similar to this. They looked at flavour qualities from different methods of pasteurisation. Heat was the only one that changed the flavour slightly, more caramel. The UV shouldn't affect the flavour at all, I was actually considering testing this on my cider, as it seems to be a fairly innocuous way to pasteurise.
soilpharm

Re: My First Cider?

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 am

It's Fall again and I stumbled (not literally...today) across my posts from last year. Now searching out fresh, pure pressed apple juice near St Louis or Belleville, IL. Any suggestions?
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Score. Local orchard had 5 gallons fresh-pressed, pasteurized cider waiting for me. Thinking I go with the Bub recipe and then tweak from there. 4 gallons cider, 2 lb brown sugar (maybe), 6 oz raisens, hefeweizen yeast and ferment. Also planned to add some pectase to help break down the pectins.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:34 pm

TimmyR wrote:Score. Local orchard had 5 gallons fresh-pressed, pasteurized cider waiting for me. Thinking I go with the Bub recipe and then tweak from there. 4 gallons cider, 2 lb brown sugar (maybe), 6 oz raisens, hefeweizen yeast and ferment. Also planned to add some pectase to help break down the pectins.

You don't want to use pasteurized cider.
Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!
hotrod38

Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:46 pm

Last october I went up and got 10 gallons of fresh pressec cider from a local orchard here in San Diego. I split it into 2 5 gallon batches, pitched WLP english cider yeast into one and WLP american hefeweizen yeast into the other. Added pectic enzyme to both and let them ferment forever. I bottled them on June 1st this year and just put a couple bottles in the fridge today.

we'll see
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:54 pm

hotrod38 wrote:
TimmyR wrote:Score. Local orchard had 5 gallons fresh-pressed, pasteurized cider waiting for me. Thinking I go with the Bub recipe and then tweak from there. 4 gallons cider, 2 lb brown sugar (maybe), 6 oz raisens, hefeweizen yeast and ferment. Also planned to add some pectase to help break down the pectins.

Why not? I've read all I can find and found that although non-pasteruized may have more aromatics, but I've definitely seen posts for people who've had success. What's the impact of using pasteurized versus non-pasteruized cider?

Thnx Hotrod....just trying to get smarter.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:51 am

TimmyR wrote:
hotrod38 wrote:

Why not? I've read all I can find and found that although non-pasteruized may have more aromatics, but I've definitely seen posts for people who've had success. What's the impact of using pasteurized versus non-pasteruized cider?

Thnx Hotrod....just trying to get smarter.

pasteurization kills the pectic enzymes. this causes the cider to remain cloudy rather than brilliantly clear. also, you will lose most of the fresh, fruity flavor and aroma of a natural hard cider. You will make cider, using pasteurized must. if you want to make great cider, you should seek out the freshest must you can. Find a local orchard and see if they will sell you unpasteurized must. You can ferment both types and see for yourself, the difference.
Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!
hotrod38

Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:04 am

Thanks Hotrod. I've asked for unpasteurized but so far no luck. I am hoping I might talk to the head cider maker today and ask the question in-person when I drive up to pick up the 5-gallons I have ordered. I also will ask if it was hot or cold pasteurized.

Haven't I read you can add pectase (sp?) to the must/cider when pitching yeast to help breakdown the pectins?
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

PreviousNext

Return to Mead & Cider