Apple Icewine (actually Ice Cider) article

Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:47 am

PFC AndyP
BN Army Canadian Forces
andyp

Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:53 am

Its nice to see they are expanding to meet theyre resources (frozen apples and cold climate) I bet that stuff is Delic, but at $50 a bottle, i prob wont be buying much on my cheap ass budget:(

Theres a small winery in the UP of MI in Garden MI that does it similiar, crush the fruit, then freeze, then ferment. They make some really tasty stuff.
They call me Crut
**BREW STRONG**
I brew for schnitz and giggles
Corporal in the BN Army
Brewer for Shorts Brewing in Bellaire MI
Crut

Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:57 pm

I wonder if you could do this at home at some level. Maybe freeze some apple juice and ferment what does not turn into ice? Sounds like an experiment....Anyone else want to try it?
I wasn't drunk in Public. I was drunk in a bar. They THREW me into Public. Arrest THEM! --Ron White
Bennington Brewer

Re: Apple Icewine (actually Ice Cider) article

Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:22 pm

I've done something a bit different to make an Apple Jack brandy-like beverage: sort of an apple cider eisbock. Just make a cider and put 2 gals or so in a jug into the freezer overnight. Use a small sanitized colander to pull out as much of the ice crystals as possible.

You are left with a sweet (probably 50 proof) apple brandy that is deep gold and pretty badass. Come to think of it, maybe start with 20 gals of cider!

If I recall, I got about 1/2 gal of apple jack out of the 2 gal of cider that I started with.

jacbop
Midland, MI
jacbop
(aka Tom Wilberding, The Uniballer)
Chicago, IL
ImageSergeant, BN Army
jacbop

Return to Mead & Cider