Fri May 23, 2008 7:23 pm

Lars wrote:Don't be afraid to back sweeten your mead!

Good suggestion, Lars, I guess I just wimped out and quit too early.

Thanks!
Chris Bushman
Colfax, CA
filmlabrat

Sat May 24, 2008 6:03 am

Hey filmlabrat - keep an eye on the acidity of the juice. If the acidity is too low the yeasties will refuse to work. About the other mead, the yeast you used is a champagne yeast and will dry up the Niagara! Try DV10 or D47? also, the mead calculator is pretty handy....on www.gotmead.com

Cheers
Brewbear
BEER, not just for breakfast any more!
Brewbear

Sat May 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Brewbear - great info. That gotmead.com site is a wonderful resource! Thanks for your suggestions.
Chris Bushman
Colfax, CA
filmlabrat

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:49 pm

I finally got around to making my mead, a Metheglin actually. (I guess that means I was cooking up some meth. :P ) I spent a bunch of time on www.gotmead.com and picked up some good tips. Great site for meads and ciders.

Anyway the thing was pretty simple. I made up a 2 liter starter with sweet mead yeast (Wyeast 4184) with a little honey and water (an idea I got from Gotmead). I used a no boil method. I poured the honey directly into the fermenter and racked some warm boiled water onto the top of that to bring the volume up to about 4.5 gallons, poured in a little water that I had boiled with some yeast nutrient. Added fruit and spices, ran some O2 into it for a couple minutes and pitched the yeast.

The recipe is simply 15# honey, 2 large lemons and 2 limes cut into wedges, 5 whole cloves, 5 small cinnamon sticks, and 1/8 tsp fresh ground nutmeg. I pitched the yeast once I got everything cooled down to about 68°F and stuck it into the fermentation fridge.

One thought that came to me when I stuck it in the fermentation fridge was whether I might need to use a blow off tube. Does anyone think I might need it? I don't know if meads will create a krausen like beer will.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:37 pm

I have only made two or three meads, but I havent seen that vigorous a fermentation to need a blow off tube.

Sean
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Usually - no krausen on meads... My first one was odd kind of like carbonated water off gassing constantly for several days.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:00 am

Hey Bug,
Put the blow-off tube just in case! I made a few meads over the last 3 years and the ones with fruit added in primary will sort of reward you with one hell of a mess! My way of doing it since then is to put the fermenter/bucket in a large trash bag. The idea with meads is that you can airate the first 3 days and also push down the fruit. Well, all that activity coupled with some active fermentation resulted in : A. huge mess of fruit and sweet water on the floor-a real bitch to get out of carpet; B aerate the mead in a carboy--> BIG Geyser shooting up!--> mead called "In your face"; C. try and find info about nutrient addition at 1/3 and 2/3 sugar consumption, it will allow a better fermentation (no stalling).

Hope this helps,
Brewbear <--> in your face mead!
Brewbear

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:06 am

Bug, Keep an eye on that mead, from what I've seen, a lot of people get all sorts of results with that yeast. The range is from good mead to stalled fermentation! Keep in mind that these yeasts like to ferment at higher temps than beer yeasts! usually mid 60's to low 70's. As is the case with beer, temp control is very important.

Cheers,
Brewbear
Brewbear

PreviousNext

Return to Mead & Cider