Is my cider screwed?

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:42 am

Here's what I did

recipe:
4 gallons cider no preservatives UV light treated to kill wild yeasts and bacteria

The cider was pressed last october and frozen, I thawed it overnight

1 tsp yeast nutrients dilluted in tablespoon water

I put the cider in the carboy with the yeast nutrient
rehydrated 2 packs of cotes des blanc and dumped it in.
After two days a very small foamy kruezen formed (1/4 ") then went away after a day. The airlock never bubbled. So after four or five days I got two more packets of yeast this time 1- cote des blanc and one champagne yeast, rehydrated until it was foamy pretty strong and dumped it in. Still no bubblage in the air lock. The cider specifically says "no preservatives"

It smells great, sweet, cidery. Looks cloudy. It's been in my basement for 7 days now at about 65-67. I'm in no hurry, but I don't want to drink it if it's growing some crazy bacteria and going to make sick as hell.

I was thnking about making a simple syrup with some sugar and water to give any yeast that's hanging out something to get it moving.
greatLake

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:41 pm

When using a wine yeast with my cider I have very little krauzen and little activity in the airlock. Just let it go 3 weeks and do gravity check. It not down to what you want, rouse the yeast a little and let it go another week.

It sounds fine.
-I live in my own little world. But that's okay because they know me there.
-Even if alcohol does kill off brain cells, we all know alcohol goes for the slower, weaker ones first -- making your brain more sleek and efficient.
numsquat

Return to Mead & Cider