Chalky mouthfeel

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:56 am

I have had a mild on tap for almost a week now and have noticed that it has something similar to a chalky mouthfeel. It seems to be going away the longer it is on tap but I am not sure if that is actually what is happening or if I am just getting used to it.

I took this beer grain to glass in exactly one week and it is my second time brewing after moving cities. These are my only two ideas about what could be contributing to this. I have definitely changed water sources from where I used to live and I never had any chalkiness before so I am wondering if it could be my tap water. I do absolutely nothing to my water. The first beer I brewed in the new city was Janet's Brown and it didn't have the chalkiness. This is also the quickest I have ever turned around a beer and I am wondering if that could have anything to do with it. Is it something to do with the gravity of the beer and that is why I am picking it up? Could it really be dropping out?
Brewshki

Re: Chalky mouthfeel

Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:44 am

Oxidation?
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Drunk Nate says:

I would guess that it is particulates in the beer that are settling out over time. I have had gritty/chalky stuff in my beer before that was just some stuff other than yeast that was in the beer that had to settle out. This was in "quick grain to glass" beers like milds that I made. After a couple weeks it was gone, but it was there to begin with, and even after gelatin it took a bit to go away.

WOOOHHHH....Happy Thanksgiving!
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:02 am

What city did you move to? Have you been able to get a water report? Could be alkaline water with lots of carbonates. Maybe use reverse osmosis water. It's usually 33-40 cents per gallon so only adds a few dollars to a 5G batch.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Two thoughts come to mind right off the bat, which echo others ideas too....

1. Is the mild currently pouring clear or still somewhat hazy? As Nate stated, sometimes that chalkiness can be from particulates still in suspension (most notably yeast) especially if this was a quick turnaround brew. What strain did you use and was the beer clear upon kegging?

2. If you moved to a new area, a water report is most definitely in order if you plan on using it for further brews. If not, a quick switch to RO water and employing a water software program (like Brunwater) will fix most problems with regards to water source. When brewing the mild, did you add any extra salts to the water or did you use it just straight up?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:46 pm

I moved from Orange California to Riverside California.

I just brewed the mild with water straight out of the tap. This is what I normally do for my beers. I know it very well could be the water, I just have never seen actual effects from it so I wanted to post about it and get some thoughts going on.

I brewed it with WLP002 and it was not extremely clear when I kegged it. This is fairly normal for my beers though.

It may be clearing up a little bit, but it is still very hazy and I would not call it clear at all.
Brewshki

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:48 am

Could be too low mash pH from roasted malts combined with the water chemistry. Could also be the yeast. Having enough Ca in the water helps the yeast floc out. I'd get a water report and download Bru'n Water.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:30 am

I think it may have just been age. I just tapped a dunkelweizen and I cannot detect the same mouthfeel. I'm sure it could be there and something is covering it up or something, but so far, it is very nice. It also seems like the mild is losing the chalkiness.
Brewshki

Return to All Grain Brewing